1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career advice

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    (I may have posted this in the wrong place before)

Hey guys,

I have a good job offer from a well known analog company in Santa Clara as well as an offer for PhD from Purdue University. Any suggestions about which one should I choose. I know it depends on finances and interest and other factors, but I guess my main q is if it is possible to at least do a part time masters and work full time.

Is this possible assuming I take evening or online classes. Will I have no time and go bezerk. Will studies suffer tremendously? Anyone taken this path before?

Please to respond. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    A lot of masters programs are designed so that you can do them while working full time, they just take longer.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    You could ask your potential new employer if they make any allowance for further education. Good employers are happy for their employees to learn, both for their professional development and ability in the role.

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4
    I did a MS in Comp Eng and worked full time. Took a little over a year to finish. I'll take the job over Ph.D and do a M.S. part-time, but that's up to you what you really want to do (career-wise) and what you have (financially)

Getting a job during this time and age is nothing less than a miracle, especially in California. My cousin's been out of work in the same area near Santa Clara for over a year now. And he has +6 years experience in software engineering and chip design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook