1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Career after B.Sc on Physics?

1. Nov 20, 2017 #1
    What would be best career option after B.Sc on Physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2017 #2
    The best option is a career you enjoy. How can we help you if we don't know you :)

4. Nov 20, 2017 #3
    How did you get your BS in physics at 19?

5. Nov 20, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a misunderstanding, according to member's profile information.

6. Nov 20, 2017 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

???

According to Rachana Malik's Information page, she is a student working on a B.Sc. in physics, i.e., the B.Sc. is in progress.

7. Nov 21, 2017 #6
    I am just asking about the career options...

8. Nov 21, 2017 #7
    I am studying B.Sc in Physics....What would be the best career option to get a government job?

9. Nov 21, 2017 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Always, ALWAYS keep in mind that this is an international forum. What this means is that while it is plainly obvious to you on where you are or where you intend to seek a job, this information is not available to us.

And where you intend to establish a career makes a tremendous difference. Someone with a B.Sc in physics will have a different amount of employment opportunity in, say, the UK, versus Zimbabwe. If I tell you all the career path of someone here in Chicago, and you reside somewhere in India, how relevant and applicable do you think such information will be to you?

You need to include as much detail as possible to get a "customized answer", rather than a generic answer, unless a generic answer is what you are looking for.

Zz.

10. Nov 21, 2017 #9
    Usually it's the other way around. You want to do something and then get the education. You don't get the education and then ask what you can do with it. What topic in physics are you interested in?

11. Nov 21, 2017 #10

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Many students have not developed in that way. Often a person (student) finds an interest in something, some subject, and wants to first earn a degree in it, because he likes the subject or is good in the subject, or both. All along, he is not sure exactly what he wants to do with the education - he only knows he likes and is good at the subject. Such a person REALLY NEEDS CAREER ADVICE.

12. Nov 21, 2017 #11
    Not to distract too much, but I guess my point is that if you like and are good at a subject you'll have natural affinities within that subject that will help direct you. Asking what you can do with a physics degree is too broad to be useful. However if someone especially enjoyed their optics or electromagnetism courses then you can narrow your options.

13. Nov 21, 2017 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Students really need a formal program for career guidance, Physics students included. The common tale, "do what you love, and the money will come", is just not enough guidance.

14. Nov 21, 2017 #13
    I think it’s the wrong tale but I get your point.

15. Nov 21, 2017 #14
    Being from the same country, I can say , you've got to get a master's degree in physics. There isn't much one can do with a bachelor's.
    Then depending upon your interest, you can get in to the various research institutes established in India.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted