1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Career After BS in Physics

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    I just completed my BS in Physics and Computer Science from a small university. I am looking for a research position or a research assistant position. Most of the jobs I see are looking for MS or PhD or postdoc researchers. I want to collect experience and earn some money (just a little to keep me alive for a year) and then want to join a graduate school after a year. Any suggestions, friends? Feel free to do feasibility analysis here :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A BS in physics does not really qualify you for a "research position". (Just like a BS in history wouldn't)

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3
    What other career options, you suppose, would be out there in general?

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think the telling deficiency is that you did not specify *what* you want to research. It doesn't have to be specific, but the total lack of *any* specificity will make getting even a tech job difficult.

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5

fss

Pretty much whatever you think would be interesting. You'll have more or less luck getting a position depending on what it is, and who else applies for the job.

7. Aug 9, 2011 #6
    Thanks for your reply. My interest is on Quantum Physics.

8. Aug 9, 2011 #7
    Quantum physics is a little too broad a term and basically encompasses all modern physics. When people ask about research areas they're generally thinking something along the following list:

Optics, condensed matter/solid state, cosmology, astronomy, atmospheric physics, medical physics, particle physics, nuclear physics, accelerator physics, computational, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook