Career as a scientific adviser?

In summary, if your interests change to something more computational or maybe bio physics, there might still be opportunities for you as a science adviser, but it won't be at a think tank.
TheKracken
I have been exploring potential careers with a physics/ math or engineering degree and one job that interests me but I can not find much information on is being a science adviser. I would love to get some more info and possibly intern as one as a undergraduate. From what I understand you need at least a Ph.D. Also, what area of physics would be most in demand in this case. I won't necessarily go with what is demand, but I am curious because if my interests change to something more computational or maybe bio physics, is there still opportunities? So maybe, what is the general process of becoming a adviser and what should I expect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Science adviser to whom?

To the government, let's say congress or for the president, something higher up in the government.

I don't think that's something that's an independent career. Generally to be appointed as a policy advisor you need to be at the point in your career where you are giving invited talks and writing review articles. You get there by working in academia/industry and making substantial contributions that other people start to recognize.

There are, of course, professional positions within "think tanks" (non-profit organisations that are set up to establish, review and advocate for certain policies) and that might be more of what you're looking for.

What Choppy said. Science adviser to the President of the United States is not an entry-level position.

Could you give me some more info on this "think tank" job?

TheKracken said:
Could you give me some more info on this "think tank" job?

Working at a think tank is not an entry-level position, either. It's for people who have significant experience in often very narrow, specific areas. Working at a think tank is like being a consultant - you're only good if you can *truly* deliver results (read: $$$) for your clients. Funding can be very spotty, tenuous, and subject to political whims.

I would set my sights on a different career, say president of a major university. The pay and the perqs are much better than that of a science advisor. Just ask the out-going president of NYU.

1. What does a career as a scientific adviser entail?

A career as a scientific adviser involves providing expert advice and guidance to individuals or organizations in the scientific field. This can include conducting research, analyzing data, developing policies, and communicating scientific information to non-scientific audiences.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a scientific adviser?

Typically, a scientific adviser will have a strong educational background in a specific scientific discipline, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Many also have a graduate degree, such as a Master's or PhD. Additionally, strong analytical and communication skills are essential for this career.

3. What kind of industries or organizations hire scientific advisers?

Scientific advisers can be employed in a variety of industries and organizations, including government agencies, non-profit organizations, research institutions, and private companies. They may also work as independent consultants or for science-focused media outlets.

4. What are the potential career advancement opportunities for a scientific adviser?

As a scientific adviser gains experience and expertise, they may have the opportunity to take on more senior roles within their organization or industry. They may also have the chance to lead research projects, mentor junior scientists, or become a thought leader in their field.

5. How can I prepare for a career as a scientific adviser?

In addition to obtaining the necessary education and experience in a scientific discipline, it can be beneficial to develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. Building a strong network within the scientific community can also open up opportunities for mentorship and professional development.