Become a Space Scientist: 16-Year-Old from India

In summary, the individual is a 16-year-old from India with a strong interest in space and astronomy and the ambition to become a space scientist. They excel in physics and math and regularly read space-related materials, but have not yet had practical experience in the field. They are unsure if they have the aptitude to become a space scientist and are seeking guidance on how to determine this. The conversation also clarifies the difference between an astronaut and an astronomer, and offers support and advice from someone working in astrophysics. It is noted that hands-on exposure is not common before university, and the individual's strong background in physics and math makes them well-suited for a career in space science. They are advised to consider the specific aspect
Soham
I am a 16-year-old from India. I have a keen interest in Space and Astronomy and my ambition is to become a space scientist. I am a good student, scoring high in physics and maths, as well as an avid reader of space related journals and articles. However, I have never had a hands-on/practical exposure to the field. Hence I am not sure if I have the right aptitude to become one space scientist. Is there any way I can find it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: do you mean "astronaut," or did you mean to say "astronomer?" Astronauts aren't the same thing as scientists (though many astronauts are also scientists). If you're looking to be an astronaut, then I doubt there are many here who know anything about this. But if you're interested in becoming a scientist to study astronomy, then you've come to the right place.

I myself work in astrophysics, and could probably answer your basic questions. Your interest in physics and math is great, because astronomers need to be good at these two subjects. I think you'd be better at astronomy than you think. Anyway, feel free to ask whatever questions you like.

Few people have hands on exposure before they get to University. If you are doing well at physics and maths then you are on the right track. You should be able to apply for any "Space Science" courses with that background, but you need to decide what aspect you want to aim for -- this can range from space walking astronaut to theoretical cosmologist, which require vastly different skills and abilities. The former might be good for you if you are brave and good at (say) repairing and riding motorcycles, the latter if you are always top in the maths class.

1. How did a 16-year-old from India become a space scientist?

The 16-year-old from India, named Rifath Sharook, became a space scientist through hard work, determination, and a passion for space and science. He participated in a science competition called the Cubes in Space, where his project was selected to be launched into space by NASA.

2. What project did Rifath Sharook create that was sent into space?

Rifath Sharook created a 64-gram cube-shaped satellite called KalamSat, named after the former Indian President and scientist, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The satellite was designed to test the performance of 3D-printed carbon fiber in the harsh conditions of space.

3. What was the purpose of the Cubes in Space competition?

The Cubes in Space competition is an international program that promotes STEM education and allows students to design and build experiments that can be launched into space. The purpose is to inspire and engage young minds in the fields of space exploration and science.

4. What challenges did Rifath Sharook face in creating his satellite?

Rifath Sharook faced several challenges in creating his satellite, including finding the right materials to withstand the conditions of space, designing a lightweight and compact satellite, and meeting the strict requirements of NASA for the Cubes in Space competition.

5. What impact did Rifath Sharook's achievement have on the scientific community?

Rifath Sharook's achievement gained global recognition and inspired many young people to pursue careers in STEM fields. It also showed that age is not a barrier to making significant contributions to the scientific community and encouraged more students to participate in programs like Cubes in Space.