1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career change to M.E.? (age 49)

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    Hello, I am a 49 year old male, reside in the US, currently unemployed, previous work experience is in IT, have a B.S. in physics/computer science degree (interdisciplinary - not double major, w/minor in math) and am considering a return to college to study Mech. Engineering. Will I have difficulty finding a job afterwards? Any other advise/comments welcome.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2
    Anyone have any help for this person. I would be interested in the answer as well.

4. Aug 21, 2010 #3
    You may face age discrimination. This is a sad but real fact of life in most technical industries.

5. Aug 25, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Tech Support might be a possibility. The technical background is useful to be able to talk the same language as customers, but the most important skills are social and being organized. A lot of the tech support people I work with aren't youngsters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook