Career change to M.E.? (age 49)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a 49-year-old male with a background in IT and a degree in physics/computer science returning to college to study mechanical engineering. The question is whether this individual will have difficulty finding a job afterwards, and the advice/comments given include the potential for age discrimination and the possibility of pursuing a career in tech support.
njmech
Hello, I am a 49 year old male, reside in the US, currently unemployed, previous work experience is in IT, have a B.S. in physics/computer science degree (interdisciplinary - not double major, w/minor in math) and am considering a return to college to study Mech. Engineering. Will I have difficulty finding a job afterwards? Any other advise/comments welcome.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any help for this person. I would be interested in the answer as well.

You may face age discrimination. This is a sad but real fact of life in most technical industries.

Tech Support might be a possibility. The technical background is useful to be able to talk the same language as customers, but the most important skills are social and being organized. A lot of the tech support people I work with aren't youngsters.

I understand your desire to make a career change and pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering (M.E.). While your previous work experience in IT and degree in physics/computer science may not align directly with M.E., your interdisciplinary background and minor in math will certainly provide a strong foundation for success in this field.

In terms of job prospects, it is difficult to predict the job market in any field, especially in today's rapidly changing economy. However, the demand for individuals with skills in engineering and technology is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. With your background and potential M.E. degree, you may have a competitive edge in the job market.

In addition, I would recommend reaching out to professionals in the M.E. field and networking to gain insight into potential job opportunities and the current job market. It may also be beneficial to gain practical experience through internships or research projects while pursuing your degree, as this can make you more marketable to potential employers.

Overall, I encourage you to pursue your passion and continue to learn and grow in your career. With determination and hard work, I am confident that you can find success in your pursuit of a career in M.E. Best of luck to you.

1. Can I make a successful career change to M.E. at the age of 49?

Yes, it is possible to make a successful career change to M.E. at the age of 49. Many people make career changes at different stages of their lives, and age should not be a barrier to pursuing a new career path.

2. Will my previous experience and education be relevant for a career in M.E.?

Your previous experience and education may be relevant for a career in M.E., depending on the specific role and industry you are interested in. It is important to research and understand the skills and qualifications required for the particular M.E. career you are considering.

3. What steps should I take to transition into a career in M.E. at age 49?

The first step is to assess your skills, interests, and goals to determine if a career in M.E. is the right fit for you. Next, you can begin researching and networking with professionals in the field to gain insight and advice. It may also be helpful to take courses or pursue certifications to gain relevant skills and knowledge.

4. Are there any challenges I may face in making a career change to M.E. at this age?

There may be some challenges in making a career change to M.E. at the age of 49. These may include a potential salary decrease, starting at an entry-level position, and adjusting to a new industry and work environment. However, with determination, hard work, and a positive attitude, these challenges can be overcome.

5. What are the potential benefits of making a career change to M.E. at this stage in my life?

Making a career change to M.E. at the age of 49 can bring many potential benefits, such as the opportunity to pursue a new passion, learn new skills, and expand your professional network. It can also lead to personal growth and fulfillment, as well as potentially higher earning potential in the long run.