Career Guidance for 25-Year-Old David Seeking EE/Computer Engineering Degree

In summary, David is a 25-year-old married father who has a job that he can support his family on working 2 days a week but who knows how long it will last. David is good at science and math and has all of his "core" classes completed, including calculus, general physics, and general chemistry. David wants to be sure he is marketable after graduation so he is considering electrical engineering/computer engineering as a possible career. David is not sure if he should expect to be able to handle less per term junior/senior level classes, but he is confident that he can handle the work load if he does. David is interested in any advice on whether computer engineering is a good fit for him, what specialty
ded8381
Hello, my name is David.

I am 25 and married with a child. I currently have a job that I can support my family on working 2 days a week, but who knows how long it will last. 1 year, 5 years? I'm a contractor for Comcast, so I'm vulnerable. This has allowed me to go back to school.

I am very good at science and math. All of my "core" classes are taken care of, and as of Spring 2008, I will have all calculus, a year of general physics, and a year of general chemistry complete.

For Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering, Physics, etc... I will only need a few basic sophmore classes not offered at community college, and then junior and senior level courses.

Currently, I can handle about 15-18 credit hours of the types of classes I've taken. (Gen. Physics, Math, Chemistry, Programming) and still have time for all my other responsibilities. But I do not have time for internships. So I want to be sure I am marketable after graduation.

Hopefully that is enough background; my questions are this:

#1 Should I expect to be able to handle less per term Junior/Senior Level?
#2 If I do EE, is it worthwhile to also get a minor in physics and math? (Especially career wise, I would like to be able to find a job.)

I enjoy "simple programming", complex math, learning how the world works. I truly love physics (energy, classical mechanics, electricity, and waves) but I don't want to be restricted in where I can live. (Oregon) That is why I've chosen engineering.

Is EE a good fit? If so, what specialty. Is Computer Engineering better? I just need some general information, and where I can read to learn more. Any advice is very appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

David

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dave,

I've had a similar situation to you. I was 24 when I separated from the Navy and went to college at a CC. And I have a wife too, but no kids.

I did a similar intro with basic calc, diff-eq, physics, and chem. Then I even tried a year of EE when I got to my university.

Yeah, the work load is going to change. But being older and disciplined more you'll do fine. I wouldn't go over 16 credits with a family. But that depends on your institution. At mine 24 EE credits is like 12 math. Our math and physics are in the top 20, and our EE is in the cave still. So it'll depend on where you're at.

If you want a career, my personal opinion is go with EE. If you supplement EE with either physics or math that'll be great. I believe the advisor I in EE did his thesis in a physics department. And I know half my EE department was once applied mathematicians, b/c the math they use can sometimes grow very hairy.

Computer Engineering is very specialized. You'll be designing computer chip stuff. It'll make it more difficult to get jobs in the other areas of EE.

If on the other hand you have a passion, say it's Control. Then go for it. Most likely you'll want a masters or a Ph.D. though.

Here's something beginners don't usually know, but maybe you do. You'll get paid for graduate school if you go. It'll be minimal, but with drive and discipline and a little help from the loved one it's doable.

Often a good man's failure is in his inability to compromise with life. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to, like move to another area, or get more education.

Best of luck.

Computer Engineering is awesome, but as math_owen mentioned, its specialized. But its not all "chip design" You do stuff like computer controlled hardware design and programming. You get into the rigors of computer architecture and digital logic. Embedded systems design is also a major role, but most of that advanced stuff is done in grad school.
When I contrast myself with my EE friends, they get to mess around with a lot of power electronics, amplifiers, Fourier transforms and so on.
Don't get the impression that CEs don't deal with analog electronics, they do, and quite a lot. It just depends on what your applications are. But for the most part digital logic will become your best friend.

My plan so far is to get an undergrad degree in CE, then work towards my masters in EE.

Last edited:
The Ranger is right, I made a bit of sweeping over generalization with the CE, but it is more specialized.

I forgot to say where to look for information. Why not try Wikipedia for basic stuff on EE. I'm sure you'll find tons of stuff you can link to via anyone article.

You can also check out the IEEE webpage. It's probably best to join them as soon as you can. You'll also get a free mag like Spectrum as an undergrad.
http://www.ieee.org/portal/site

There's always that dirty old library place too :biggrin: I've wandered our libraries for many hours just looking at books with no cause. It's helped me get a idea of different things out there in the various fields.

1. What are the job prospects for someone with an EE/Computer Engineering Degree?

The job prospects for someone with an EE/Computer Engineering Degree are very promising. With the increasing demand for technology and innovation, there is a high demand for professionals in the field of electrical and computer engineering. This degree offers a wide range of career options in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, robotics, and more.

2. How long does it take to complete an EE/Computer Engineering Degree?

The duration of an EE/Computer Engineering Degree may vary depending on the program and institution. Generally, it takes four years to complete a Bachelor's degree in this field. However, if you already have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, you may be able to complete a Master's degree in about two years.

3. What skills are required for a successful career in EE/Computer Engineering?

To be successful in the field of EE/Computer Engineering, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving skills, and computer proficiency. Additionally, excellent communication, teamwork, and project management skills are highly valued in this industry. It is also crucial to have a passion for technology and a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new advancements.

4. Are there any specific certifications or licenses required for a career in EE/Computer Engineering?

In most cases, a degree in EE/Computer Engineering is sufficient to start a career in this field. However, some employers may require specific certifications or licenses, depending on the job role. For example, to work as a Professional Engineer (PE), you will need to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and obtain a Professional Engineering license.

5. How can I gain practical experience while pursuing an EE/Computer Engineering Degree?

There are several ways to gain practical experience while pursuing an EE/Computer Engineering Degree. One option is to participate in internships or co-op programs offered by your institution or organizations in the industry. You can also take on projects or research opportunities within your program or join relevant student organizations. Additionally, networking and attending career fairs can help you connect with professionals in the field and explore potential job opportunities.