1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career guideline wanted

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1
    can someone please help me out with the procedure to become a particle physicist?:confused: will a BE in electrical engineering allow me to pursue a career in Particle Physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to be a physicist, you generally need to study physics in undergraduate school. You do not learn enough physics in an undergraduate engineering curriculum to permit you to study physics in graduate school.

- Warren

4. Aug 8, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Abhijt, there is a whole section here on academic and career guidance. There's sure to be some valuable advice there.

As chroot said, if you want to be a particle physicist, you need a PhD in physics, and a BSEE is by itself usually not considered sufficient preparation for graduate work in physics. However, if you want to work in particle physics, there are a number of engineering positions at universities and laboratories.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

clem

Science Advisor

Many particle physicists (including me) had a BSEE and went on to graduate school in physics. You must get a PhD in physics. Many graduate physics programs will admit you if your grades are good. Just ask each school what their policy is.

6. Aug 22, 2008 #5
    I am from India. can anyone tell me where to get the information about the various universities offering degrees in particle or pure physics and where to get the information?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?