1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Help, Please?

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    Hello All,

To start with, I have a penchant for problem solving, strategy, and analysis. I've usually approached my high school scholastics as a kind of chess game. Therefore, I've always wanted a profession which would be intellectually challenging, use knowledge of multiple maths and sciences, and I've also wanted a profession which would permit me to save lives by using that intellect.

What are your thoughts? Neurosurgery? A type of Engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2
    Cryptography is pretty interesting.

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey manofslate and welcome to the forums.

I would look at all kinds of engineering. There are lots of jobs where you can prevent people from dying, but if you really want to "save lives", I guess you should become a paramedic, anesthesiologist, or some kind of surgeon. These won't use a lot of mathematics though.

As for prevention, there are many kinds of jobs that prevent harm from happening and they span all kinds of careers.

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4
    Yes, consider engineering since you want the math/science aspect. Since you want to save lives with that applied knowledge, it really depends on how you look at it and which engineering discipline.

You could save lives with engineering, but the better term here would be improving. You can improve someone's life significantly by hosting various projects. (i.e. Refrigerators, new lighting system, sinks, and various other applications.) Which kind of is saving lives, depending on your point of view.

You could go into Neuroscience, but I doubt that there will be that much math involved. Probably just the basics, but not the kind of math a physics or engineering major would need. (I could be wrong since I'm not majoring in Neuroscience.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. Apr 16, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll chime in with a vote for engineering, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook