Career in Dark Energy: Pursuing a Physics Major at UIUC

In summary: They may have more insights into which specific areas of physics are most relevant to dark energy and what steps you should take to pursue it as a career. In summary, if you are interested in pursuing dark energy as a career, you will likely need to go to graduate school and focus on cosmology and/or particle physics, with opportunities for research at institutions such as UIUC.
britsid815
I am currently a physics major at UIUC. I find dark matter/energy extremely fascinating. I do not know what would be the best path to take in order for me to pursue dark energy as a career. I am sure I would need to go to graduate school, but what division of physics does dark energy fit into? Astronomy?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
britsid815 said:
I am currently a physics major at UIUC. I find dark matter/energy extremely fascinating. I do not know what would be the best path to take in order for me to pursue dark energy as a career. I am sure I would need to go to graduate school, but what division of physics does dark energy fit into? Astronomy?

Thank you

Cosmology, which you can approach from a theoretical or an observational perspective.

ETA: I knew UIUC had involvement in dark energy - UIUC is part of the Dark Energy Survey (DES) collaboration!http://physics.illinois.edu/news/story.asp?id=2642 They're doing some cool stuff. You should see if you can do some undergrad research.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumCurt
At an undergraduate level, there's not going to be much difference between physics curricula. Grad school would be a necessity. The most likely focus would be somewhere in the realm of cosmology and/or particle physics, depending on the approach. As previously mentioned, UIUC is involved in the Dark Energy Survey. It would be worth contacting some of the researchers involved in it and possibly even getting hired on to do some research with them.

1. What is Dark Energy?

Dark Energy is a theoretical concept in astrophysics that is believed to make up approximately 68% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. What is a Career in Dark Energy?

A career in Dark Energy involves conducting research and studying this elusive force in order to better understand its properties and effects on the universe. This may involve using advanced physics and mathematical techniques, as well as working with large datasets and collaborating with other scientists.

3. Why is a Physics Major at UIUC a good choice for pursuing a career in Dark Energy?

UIUC's physics program is highly ranked and has a strong focus on research. Physics majors have the opportunity to work with renowned faculty and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for conducting research on topics such as Dark Energy.

4. What skills are needed for a career in Dark Energy?

A strong foundation in physics and mathematics is essential for a career in Dark Energy. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work with complex data sets and computer software.

5. What job opportunities are available for those with a degree in Physics and a focus on Dark Energy?

Graduates with a degree in Physics and a focus on Dark Energy may find job opportunities in research institutions, universities, and government agencies. They may also pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology where their skills in data analysis and problem-solving are highly valued.