1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Career in Engineering.

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1
    I am currently a Junior at Keene state college majoring in Math and physics.. would i still beable to become an electrical engineer? or if not, what sorta careers could be looking at in the future?

should I try to transfer for my last year in college?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2004 #2
    Well, yes & no. If you stay in physics you might be able to talk your way into a job as a EE but it will be tough. As a physicist you can work on electrical problems but there are some tasks you won't have the training for.

If you want to go to grad school then your physics BS will be good preparation & you can get a master's deg. in EE. Then you really will be an engineer.

This is a tough question. If you are still young & money is not a problem you can transfer but it will almost certainly take more than 1 year to change majors & many colleges have rules about how many units you must take before you can say you have a degree from that college.

Your best bet may be grad school since many companies are reluctant to hire engineers with only a BS. Out of the last 40 candidates I helped interview, only about 7 had a BS with no experience & we hired none of them. Twenty years ago the same company had the exact opposite policy where they almost never hired MS or PhD's. (That's how I got in!).

On the other hand, one of the best circuit designers I ever worked with has a PhD in Material Science but he worked there 10 years before they gave him a shot at his first design.

4. Apr 7, 2004 #3
    See my thread "Physics or Engineering, which way to go" at General Discussions.
    If you are a good Physicist then you can be a good design engineer. My experience says that engineers are not expert in details of a design. A Physicist`s work starts where engineers can't survive. All of the good electrical designing organizations have Physicists with them. A small organization can't afford u.

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4
    If an engineer walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it on the fire and puts it out.

If a physicist walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it eloquently around the fire and lets the fire put itself out.

If a mathematician walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he convinces himself there is a solution and leaves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?