1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career in nuclear physics

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    Can a PhD holder in nuclear physics get good opportunity in next 8-9 years? Are there chances for good career?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Replied to a question that wasn't asked. (Sigh...)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think, as with all things "it depends". There are certainly good jobs around. But the success of any one person isn't assured. As with any field of physics, it will depend on how good your work is, how well you network (and how well your supervisor supports you), how flexible you are with moving into a new direction (are you a structure or nothing person, or could you do reactions? Can you do detector development, or are you more comfortable behind a desk?), it'll depend on your outside life - can you move anywhere in the world, or do you have a spouse/children/parents who mean that you need to stay in one spot? And so on, and so on.

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your advice. I just wanted to know that is there scope for good career in the particular field of physics?

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sure, I think so anyway (I have to, I'm a nuclear physicist). There are still plenty of unsolved problems, and some exciting new facilities are coming online. I think, however, it is a smaller field than a lot of areas of physics, and a lot of the low hanging fruit has long since been picked.

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6
    I also come from the field and I actually think opportunities are quite limited, especially if you are interested in more than a postdoc position. I certainly agree with e.bar on the factors which were mentioned. Flexibility in both work and physical location is important. Are you considering nuclear engineering also?

8. Mar 24, 2015 #7
    I am just thinking of doing PhD in nuclear science. Is astronomy and astrophysics has better scope?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook