1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career in optics

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone. This is my first post, so be gentle! :tongue2:

I am currently studying part time for a degree in physics with the Open University in the UK. (http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01B27)

Now, with it being part time, it will take me 6 years to complete, so I will be 30 when I'm done. :surprised (I am currently 2 years into it).

I am really interested in a future career related to optics. This stems from a love of telescopes, but anything optically related would do. (Working at ESA, designing optics to be used in space would be ideal, but I don't hold out much hope of that!) :biggrin:

So, basically, my question is: is there anything specific I should be studying in my undergrad course, or is it best just to get a 'general' physics degree, and concentrate on optics at MSc level?

Also, do you think the fact that I will be 30 before even getting a degree will make employment difficult?

P.S. This won't mean much to anyone, but just in case you're interested, the courses I am taking for my degree are:

Exploring mathematics
    The physical world
    Mathematical methods and models
    Waves, Diffusion and Variational Principles
    Mathematical Methods and Fluid Mechanics
    The quantum world
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted