• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Career in physics

• Physics
  • Thread starter khil_phys
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If I had an M.Tech degree, would I get the same amount of knowledge and understanding of quantum mechanics which I would have got had I done a major in Quantum mechanics or other related branches?

Answers and Replies

If I had an M.Tech degree, would I get the same amount of knowledge and understanding of quantum mechanics which I would have got had I done a major in Quantum mechanics or other related branches?
Depends what books you read. With a bachelor's degree you likely won't be doing quantum field theory, but you'll be able to do schoredinger equation calculations, and that's enough to understand what you don't understand.

If you want to learn QFT, that's another three to four years of work.

Also QM is one of those things that the more you learn, the less you understand.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Quantum mechanics isn't a major anymore then Algebra is a major.

Quantum Mechanics is now and has been a tool used in research.

What's an M.Tech?

Depends what books you read. With a bachelor's degree you likely won't be doing quantum field theory, but you'll be able to do schoredinger equation calculations, and that's enough to understand what you don't understand.
So what you mean to say is that having an M.Tech degree is the same as doing a masters in QM or QFT.