1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career in Quantum computation

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    Hi guys. I’m a graduate student in physics. I’m interested in quantum computation. In what field of physics should I take up my further studies to get into this area? Any information is most welcome.Thanx in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2
    computational physics perhaps? maybe some monte-carlo methods? "metropolis"? "penelope"-packages?
  4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    I would recommend taking all the Quantum theory classes to get a better understanding of the topic, although that really is somewhat impossible as there are even current physicists who don't have a perfect understanding of the topic. I would also recommend some computer science courses to understand the structure of computers and how they operate.
  5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    The University of Waterloo has an institute of quantum computation which has dedicated courses on quantum computation (actually they have one in undergrad as well)
  6. Jul 18, 2008 #5
    It depends on whether you want to do theory or experiment.

If it's theory, then theoretical/mathematical physics would be the right field, with taking some additional math and computer science courses, like Functional analysis, Advanced Algorithms, Complexity theory, Coding Theory,...

In experiment, the possible fields are Condensed matter physics or Quantum optics, but I'm not an expert here.

Either way, quantum mechanics at an advanced level is a necessity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?