Science Career Options for Undecided Students

In summary, the speaker is a 1st year undergraduate student in MUN who is doing well in physics and chemistry, but does not have a strong interest in either subject. They excel in these subjects due to their willingness to spend time and effort understanding the concepts. The speaker enjoys the process of thinking and discovering the meanings and derivations of concepts. They do not have a preference for a specific type of physics or chemistry. They are interested in pursuing a science degree that combines both subjects and are curious about job opportunities in this field. The speaker has considered physical chemistry but is also interested in quantum dots and nano-scale circuits, which may have promising job prospects in the future.
jian11111223
I am a 1st year undergraduate student in MUN doing pretty well in physics and chemistry. However, I don't find myself have very strong interested in either one of these subjects. I can do well because I am willing to spent time and efforts to understand the concepts in phyisics and chemistry. I found out the fun part of studying physics and chemistry is not the concepts itself but the process of thinking, such as finding out what the concepts means,and how does that concept derived from. Therefore, I have no special preference in which kind of physics or chemistry. Although I find some concepts are easier to be understood than the other, but that shouldn't be part of the consideration on which type of chemist and physicist I want to be, right? What kind of science degree is available for people like me who are interested in both chemistry and physics and what kind of jobs are available for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose physical chemistry is too obvious. I went to a talk from a physical chemist not too long ago about quantum dots and nano-scale circuits: lots of interesting stuff there, and likely to be a lot of job opportunities in the furture, I would think.

I understand your dilemma of being interested in both chemistry and physics. It's great that you are excelling in both subjects and that you enjoy the process of thinking and understanding the concepts.

One option for students like you is to pursue a degree in interdisciplinary sciences, such as a Bachelor of Science in Applied Science or a Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences. These programs allow students to explore various fields of science, including chemistry and physics, and provide a well-rounded education in the sciences.

Another option is to choose a specific field within chemistry or physics that combines elements of both subjects. For example, you could consider studying physical chemistry, which combines principles of both chemistry and physics, or biophysics, which combines physics and biology.

In terms of job opportunities, there are many options for individuals with a background in both chemistry and physics. You could work in research and development, either in academia or in industry, where you can contribute to advancements in various fields such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, or renewable energy. You could also pursue a career in science communication, using your knowledge to educate others about scientific concepts and discoveries. Other potential career paths include science policy, patent law, and teaching.

It's important to remember that your degree does not limit you to a specific career path, and that there are many opportunities to apply your skills and knowledge in various industries and fields. I would encourage you to continue exploring your interests and to seek out opportunities for internships or research experiences in different areas to help guide your decision. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

What are some popular career options for students interested in science?

Some popular career options for students interested in science include research scientists, science educators, science writers, science policy analysts, and science communicators.

What industries can I work in with a degree in science?

A degree in science can open up opportunities in a variety of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, technology, environmental science, agriculture, and government agencies.

What skills are important for a successful career in science?

Some important skills for a successful career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work in a team.

What steps can I take to explore different science career options?

To explore different science career options, you can participate in internships, job shadowing, informational interviews, and networking events. You can also do research on different industries and job roles to get a better understanding of what they entail.

What are some resources for finding science career options?

There are several resources available for finding science career options, including career websites, industry-specific job boards, professional organizations, and career fairs. Your college or university's career center may also have resources and advisors to help you explore different options.