1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career mix up

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    Hi, im kind of new to this forum and im a sophmere in high school. So far my school has been interesting and ive recently been exposed to amateur astronomy. I've been at it for a year and half. In fact ive took it very seriously now. I kind of wanted it to be my career and I do have other alternatives while heading into college. But i looked at job prospects and i am tired of our economy and the way the job market is. What i wanted to do is get a 4 yr degree at some university and move on(my choice is UW or UCSB) and I just want some tips on becoming an astronomer. Any tips guys???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You should make a post in the academic guidance and career guidance sections. Actually, there are probably posts about this already, so you may be able to do a search and find some recent ones.

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    Drakkith is totally right, but I just want to add that in fact Astronomy has one of the lowest unemployment rates amongst all the sciences (I believe less that 1%). But this is largely because (or so the article I read theorized) a degree in Astronomy gives you a wide degree of expertise in many fields, not necessarily that there are so many astronomical job positions out there.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4
    Thank you guys. Yes, i can understand the unemployment it just sucks that astronomy is cool and exciting career field, yet their one of the lowest paid science careers, hmm..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook