1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Options

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    My major is in Engineering Physics. My two minors will be in Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Detection. My GPA is not spectacular but not terrible: 3.3. I have decided that Graduate School in Physics is not for me--change of heart. I was thinking of doing the following:

After graduating get a position in the Nuclear Industry. Work with that company for either a year or two, I do no know what specifically I want to do. Then return to school for a M.S. in Nuclear Engineering; I would like to find a company that would pay for my M.S.

I would like to intern for this company first before graduating. Can anyone recommend BIG nuclear companies that would be compatible with my goal? A couple posts ago I did mention Westinghouse.

Besides the standard curriculum at my school, I will be taking extra courses in machining(CNC, etc) at a community college. Just curious to see if this will look good on a resume.

One last question: what specific job would I be able to apply for with my degree and minors. I will also have a background in machining, programming(C++, Labview, Mathematica), and Unix. I have taken math much more then required(PDE's, Complex Varaibles, and soon a grad course in applied math). I will also be doing research with a Prof in PDEs(solitons) but that probably won't matter.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted