1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Career path advice

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    Hey everyone, I'm nearing the end of high school and I can't for the life of me decide what I want to do... I have a couple choices but I can't decide between them...

My favourite thing in the world is figuring out the soloutuon to that hard multistep math or physics question, and I believe my overall problem solving skills are pretty good. Right now I'm managing a fast food restaurant and I really enjoy being the guy in charge...

Some careers I've considered are civil or electrical engineering. I really like the idea of civil engineering but it seems like they are generally the least paid engineers and also seem to do the least amount of math which I would likely find dissapointing (lots of generalizations, but I've done a fair bit of research)

Electrical engineering also jumps out at me but I'm by no means a computer genius of someone who spends a lot of time fiddling with wires

Overall I'm not a very hands on person and would probably enjoy office work or being the guy in charge eventually... I certainly wouldn't mind a quick walk through of what each job entails for you personally, thanks:)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2
    Couple more things about me: I just really love physics, forces and waves both really peak my interest... also any careers suggestions outside of these two are more than welcome

4. Nov 6, 2017 #3
    Although I am not a career expert, based on my experience I can suggest a broad career guideline for you to chose from -

1) Computer Science - There are really some cool stuff such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Virtual Reality, Self-driving cars, etc happening in the world of technology. All these technologies require computer engineers. So if that interests you, you can choose to become a computer engineer. (Even if not a formal degree, you can learn programming online and prove your skills to the respective organization you wish to work for).

2) Electronics Engineering - Industrial automation is need of the hour and the demand for electronics engineer is really high. It is difficult to get a good electronics engineer. Not only industry but even the medical industry is getting automated (Surgies in hospitals are getting automated)

3) Civil Engineering - Civil Engineering is a tricky profession. It is more of an experience-based profession where the professional will trust an engineer, only if he/she has the relevant experience. Although the theory of books is applicable in the real world, but civil engineering requires extensive fieldwork experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted