Career recommending quiz, took it and it got me fairly accurately

In summary: The recipe for bacon cookies is something that is passed down from one generation to another. It is a tradition that has been kept by many people over the years.The recipe for bacon cookies comes from Kevin Bacon's aunt.The recipe for bacon cookies is something that is passed down from one generation to another. It is a tradition that has been kept by many people over the years.
rainbow93
I've taken career quizzes and usually been disappointed. This one, however, got me really nicely and it correctly got my father as a mathematician/computer programmer.

http://shobia.com/career-finder

Any thoughts?

Your results show you are a business thinker

This means you like work dealing with companies and financial topics that involve thinking and coming up with ideas. You want to deal with questions like how a company can become more efficient.

Careers you might enjoy include business consulting or being a corporate attorney.

(It then listed a bunch of specific careers I might like)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, rainbow - that's an interesting site!

Mine:

Your results show you are a practical thinker

This means you like hands-on work that involves using equipment and machines in an intelligent fashion.
You probably want a job that combines using your hands and your mind like being an engineer or a technologist.

I think it's accurate.

Mine:
Your results show you are problem solving thinker

This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for. You might enjoy being a computer programmer or a mathematician.

Bioinformatics Scientists
Mathematicians
Physicists
Geoscientists, Except Hydrologists and Geographers
Biochemists and Biophysicists
Software Developers, Systems Software
Computer and Information Research Scientists
Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
Geneticists
Materials Scientists
Database Architects
Molecular and Cellular Biologists
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
Statisticians
Actuaries
Microbiologists
Chemists
Computer Programmers
Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
Soil and Plant Scientists

That's pretty accurate :) better than the test I took in elementary school that told me I should work as a caregiver.

This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for.

You might enjoy being a computer programmer or a mathematician.
Career Matches
Title
Medical Scientists, Except Epidemiologists
Geoscientists, Except Hydrologists and Geographers
Bioinformatics Scientists
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
Materials Scientists
Molecular and Cellular Biologists
Pharmacists
Biochemists and Biophysicists
Software Developers, Systems Software
Physicists
Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
Mathematicians
Soil and Plant Scientists
Audiologists
Registered Nurses
Geneticists
Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
Microbiologists
Civil Engineers
I wanted to be an albatross...
:-\

Completely inaccurate.
My dream of becoming a professional televsion viewer has been shattered.

I got "thinking helper" which turned out to be fairly reasonable. If I were at the stage in my life where I was investigating careers, I think the suggestions listed would have been helpful and of interest.

I chose "Dislike" for all of the questions and yet it says:

This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for.

Career Matches
Title
Astronomers
Dancers
Singers
Cartoonist
Forest and Conservation Technicians
Food Chemist
User Experience Designer
Sound Engineering Technicians
Animal scientist
Political Scientists
Geologist
Epidemiologists
Plasterers and Stucco Masons
Online reputation manager
Stonemasons
Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
Bakers
Geographers
Film Director

That's nice:biggrin:

I think this result was obvious by the choices I made.
Your results show you are an artistic people person

This means you like dealing with other people while doing work which is creative. You're a social animal and have your own, unique style.

A good career fit likely involves social interaction while also being free to use your original ideas, such as being a psychologist or choreographer.
I love science, but I definitely couldn't be a scientist.

social animal?
:rofl:
Is that not offensive?

Well, I just took the quiz and it was pretty accurate for me (if you consider statistician as a subset of mathematician):)

I got

Those are two fields I have no interest in. Not too interested in the others either, except biologist. I would prefer horticulture, archaeology, astronomy, geology.

Lisa! said:

Choosing "dislike" for everything makes one suitable to be a programmer or a mathematician?

That sounds about right. ;)

Hmmmm. It suggested a career in panhandling for me.

You know, I could do that. You see I have this recipe for cookies and I could get lots of money from pedestrians by giving them the recipe and the story behind it. I thought of using this as a panhanlding gimmick while my grandson and I were bakin' Bacon bacon cookies.

You see, the recipe (for bacon cookies) originally came from Kevin Bacon's aunt. While Kevin Bacon and John Belushi were working on the film, "Animal House", Bacon's aunt passed the recipe on to Belushi's girlfriend.

And, as you surely know, John Belushi later worked with Ray Charles in the film, "Blues Brothers". Charles developed a crush on Belushi's girlfriend and she thought he was cute - and made him bacon cookies and even gave him a copy of the recipe.

And then, years later, Ray Charles was driving his SUV through the streets of Detroit and ran over a young engineer so smart that certainly on his way to riches and fame. Unfortunately, the poor engineer was crippled in the accident, found at fault for jaywalking, had to pay for repairs to Ray's SUV, and had no medical insurance, to boot. His inability to pay his medical bills destroyed his credit rating, making it impossible to find a job (as if being crippled wasn't handicap enough). Ray couldn't admit responsibility or help pay the medical bills (on the advice of his lawyer), but he did feel sorry for the poor, crippled engineer and brought him cookies. Bacon cookies, in fact! And even gave him the recipe.

Now the poor, crippled engineer is a homeless person in Colorado Springs that tells people he meets on the street that the only thing he regrets about life is that, being homeless, he can't make these fabulous bacon cookies from the recipe. And the one thing he really wishes somebody would do for him is to take this recipe, make a batch, and bring him one so he can finally re-taste these fabulous cookies. Oh, and five dollars would be nice, too, if you can spare it.

And (WOW!), incredibly enough, the person getting the recipe would six degrees removed from the source of the recipe!

Likes Danger
Lisa! said:

I took the opposite approach. I "liked" everything. My results:

Just for fun, I decided to answer all questions with "maybe" and here are the results:

Your results show you are a practical people person

This means you like hands-on work that is focused on dealing with other people and helping them out.

On the job, you probably want to combine being social with being productive. You might like being a occupational therapist or an athletic trainer.

That's kind of neat! :tongue:

Practical thinker it says I am. I'll just copy-paste lisab's block. It was along those lines. (RAM memory got nearly full and the page simply crashed.)

This means you like hands-on work that involves using equipment and machines in an intelligent fashion.
You probably want a job that combines using your hands and your mind like being an engineer or a technologist.

I basically said I hated everything.

The questions are pretty bad IMO.

haha. Spot on.

"problem solver. This means you like work where your main focus is on dealing with problems that you need to think about and find solutions for.
You might enjoy being a computer programmer or a mathematician."

That is absolutely accurate. Close seconds for jobs were 'Physicist' and 'Bioinformatics Scientist'. An enjoyable quiz :approve:

D H said:
I took the opposite approach. I "liked" everything. My results:

:rofl:

hehe. I don't think it's too inaccurate that a mathematician is recommended for both like everything and dislike everything. Gotta be a bit random/crazy to become one in the 1st place :tongue:

Your results show you are a business thinker

This means you like work dealing with companies and financial topics that involve thinking and coming up with ideas. You want to deal with questions like how a company can become more efficient.

Careers you might enjoy include business consulting or being a corporate attorney.

Hmm.. That's actually spot on when I come to think about it. I've always been interested in business. As a matter of fact, I've been considering if I want to become an engineer or peruse a career in business after my MSc in technology (engineering physics).

But then again, these questions were really focused on a business setting. What about a military career, academics (including physics), spiritual and so on? Hardly a serious test.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this. There are things I like to do, but I'm no good at them, thus cannot obtain a job at doing what I like :cry:

StatGuy2000 said:
Just for fun, I decided to answer all questions with "maybe" and here are the results:

They should have a feature on there that responds with an answer of all the same time type saying, "Hey buddy, are you going to take this seriously or not!?" Lol. That's what I would do.

Mine came out problem solving thinker: http://shobia.com/careers.php?id=rv21rz

Same as Monique, but with a slightly different career list. I wonder if there's a deeper level of analysis in the algorithm that distinguishes those or perhaps they just updated the list since April.

I like these kind of tests, I took the Jung one too and was an INTP: http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/JTypesResult.aspx

I seem to remember someone posting another pretty comprehensive personality/career test recently but can't find it. It was supposed to take about an hour or so to take it. The above two took about 5-10 minutes each. Does anyone know which one I'm referring to or have any other good tests they know of?

I just took another one. This one looked pretty fun because you used sliders to input your personally perceived abilities: http://www.rasmussen.edu/resources/aptitude-test/

I had high hopes for this one because it looked visuo-spatially elegant and I thought I got my sliders just right. However, it showed for my first two highest matches as careers being:

1) Dietician/nutritionist
2) Massage therapist

Massage therapist? Are you kidding me? :eek: No wonder I've felt dissatisfied the last 20 years, I thought I was a scientist this whole time. In actuality, I was a massage therapist masquerading as a scientist!

Am I the only one who got:
Your results show that you are a psychopathic thinker.

This means that you like work dealing with blunt, sharp, poisonous, or rapid-fire instruments.

Careers that you might enjoy include assassin or serial killer.

Are they trying to tell me something? :olduhh:

Danger said:
Are they trying to tell me something?

Look man, you are who you are, we're all different. It's OK to just be you. Be proud of who you are. That's the whole point, right?

DiracPool said:
Look man, you are who you are, we're all different. It's OK to just be you. Be proud of who you are. That's the whole point, right?
Yeah, I guess so. Thanks, pal. :oldsmile:

1. How accurate is the career recommending quiz?

The accuracy of the career recommending quiz depends on a variety of factors such as the quality of the questions, your honesty in answering them, and the algorithm used to determine the results. However, if you answered the questions truthfully, the quiz can provide a fairly accurate recommendation for a potential career path.

2. Can I rely solely on the results of the quiz to choose my career?

No, the quiz should be used as a guide and not as the sole determinant of your career choice. It is important to consider your own interests, skills, and values in addition to the quiz results when making a career decision. It is also recommended to seek advice from a career counselor or mentor.

3. How long does it take to complete the career recommending quiz?

The duration of the quiz may vary depending on the number of questions and your pace of answering them. On average, it may take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to complete the quiz. It is important to take your time and answer the questions thoughtfully to get the most accurate results.

4. Can I retake the quiz if I am not satisfied with the results?

Yes, most career recommending quizzes allow you to retake the quiz if you are not satisfied with the initial results. However, it is recommended to wait a few days or weeks before retaking the quiz to ensure that you are not biased by the previous results.

5. Are there any costs associated with taking the career recommending quiz?

It depends on the specific quiz you are taking. Some quizzes may be free, while others may require a fee. It is important to do your research and read the terms and conditions before taking any career recommending quiz to avoid any unexpected costs.