1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Vs Physics

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    I am an electronics and comms engineering with Masters in space systems and am currently working in spacecraft development for the LISA spacecraft in the Uk (am 26 now.)

I am a physics enthusiast as of now and am seriously thinking to pursue academic career in Physics (GR and Cosmology in particular). I started from slightly above (from Hamiltonian mechanics) the basics. I am only reading textbooks, practising couple of problems and listening to lectures. I am also afraid because I have been quite successful in my career.

I would ideally like to enrol to casm (Part III) to a couple of years, by when I hope (wish) to kid of go through pre-requisite subjects for Part III General Relativity. I have mailed couple of universities about my eligibility for a PhD, but they thought I have less knowledge of Maths, to deal with GR/Cosmo as of now and the professor from Oxford suggested doing experimental Physics PhD.

Ok... enough of background: basically I am fix. I am interested in theoretical Physics more. I dont exactly know what is experimental physics. Will they get a chance to know theoretical physics?

I have two questions:

1. Based on what you know about the people admitted CASM, is it likely for me to secure a place after another two years of self study - by then I will be 28!

2. Or Is it better, to do experimental physics focussing on gravitaional waves, CMB etc

I would greatly appreciate you valuable suggestions/advices.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted