What career options are available for math majors?

• Math
  • Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's dilemma in deciding on a career path after completing a general math degree. They consider options such as teaching, pursuing a career in artificial intelligence, and taking additional classes to improve their skills. They also mention their age and potential limitations in pursuing certain paths. The conversation ends with advice to gain relevant knowledge and experience in the desired field in order to increase job prospects.
bennyska
i've been kind of slow going through college. the last time i met with a counselor, i found i was about a year away from a bachelor's in general math, so i decided to focus on that. later, i asked a teacher what people do with a degree in general math. she said that usually people studying general math go on to grad school, which i wasn't really planning on doing. mainly because I'm a little older than usual (28, so 29 or 30 when i graduate for a bachelor's and then, what, how long does grad school take, anyway?), but also because i want to have a family, and i don't know how feasible it is to go to grad school while trying to have children. basically, i just want to work in my field. at this point, i think i'd like to find an internship, if anything for free, just to see what people actually do with this.
but i digress. i was thinking of adding either applied or statistics, which would maybe add a year or two. i don't know, i'll probably meet up with a counselor when next semester starts.
the thing is, I'm not really sure what i want to do. i wouldn't mind teaching at all, but that seems like the only option i can think of off the top of my head, and i don't want to teach only because i can't figure out anything else. that being said, teaching has always seemed interesting, and I've had some great teachers that make me want to follow in their footsteps.
i think my dream job would be to work in artificial intelligence, but i have no computer/programming experience, except for a class in C, which i have basically forgotten (i am pretty adept at ti-89 basic, but i doubt people pay for that).
so does anyone have any basic advice? like maybe what grad school is like, what one does with a general degree after that? how easy is it for general majors to work in an applied or stats field? what do people even do with these degrees?
i've just had the time of my life studying abstract algebra, but who's going to pay me to prove whether or not something is a group? i don't know. if anyone can throw any career advice at me, i'd be greatly appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
My situation is pretty similar to yours. I am 32 and 3 classes away from an undergraduate degree in math. My plan of action is to job hunt and continue to take classes after graduation in order to make myself more competitive for entrance to grad school. I am interning this summer in advertising doing some applied math. Good luck with everything.

Have you looked into an actuarial career as an actuary? (Redundancy intended for both spellings.)

I work as a software engineer in the wireless industry. My background is in EE, but I've worked with several very capable software engineers whose degrees are in math, so that path is certainly open to you.

If you want to work as a programmer but your skills are rusty, then the answer seems obvious enough to me: take a few programming classes, preferably ones that involve non-trivial projects that you can talk about intelligently on your resume and in interviews.

Obviously if you want to work in artificial intelligence, you should identify which programming languages are most useful in that environment and focus on those. Also if you don't have any AI courses under your belt then by all means take some. In general, the more directly relevant knowledge/experience you have in your target field, the better your chances of landing a first job. (After the first job, your academic background is almost irrelevant; your work experience is what matters primarily.)

I can offer some advice and options for math majors based on my knowledge and experience in the field.

Firstly, it's important to note that a degree in math can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, not just in academia. Some common career options for math majors include:

1. Data Analysis/Statistics: With the rise of big data, there is a growing demand for professionals who can analyze and interpret data. A degree in math, especially with a focus on statistics, can prepare you for a career in this field. You can work in industries such as finance, healthcare, marketing, and government agencies.

2. Actuarial Science: Actuaries use mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk and help companies make financial decisions. This field is highly in demand and offers a good salary and job stability.

3. Operations Research: This field involves using mathematical and analytical methods to solve complex problems in various industries such as logistics, transportation, and manufacturing.

4. Financial Analyst: A math degree can also lead to a career as a financial analyst, where you will use your analytical skills to evaluate financial data and advise companies on investments and financial decisions.

5. Teaching: As you mentioned, teaching is also a viable option for math majors. You can teach at the high school or college level, and some schools may even offer teaching programs that can be completed alongside your math degree.

Now, regarding your concerns about graduate school and having a family, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, the length of a graduate program can vary, but on average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years for a PhD. This may seem like a long time, but it's important to keep in mind that a higher degree can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries in the long run.

Additionally, many graduate programs offer flexible schedules and part-time options, which can make it easier to balance with family responsibilities. You can also consider online programs, which can provide more flexibility in terms of scheduling.

As for the possibility of adding a focus in applied or statistics, this can certainly broaden your job prospects and make you more marketable in the job market. It may add a year or two to your studies, but it could be worth it in the long run.

In terms of working in the field of artificial intelligence, it's important to note that this field is highly interdisciplinary and involves a combination of

1. What career options are available for math majors?

Math majors have a wide range of career options, including roles in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, actuarial science, computer science, teaching, and research. Many employers value the analytical and problem-solving skills that math majors possess, making them desirable candidates for a variety of industries.

2. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in math?

While a graduate degree may be required for certain specialized roles in math, such as research or academia, there are many career opportunities available for math majors with just a bachelor's degree. It ultimately depends on the specific career path you are interested in pursuing.

3. What skills do math majors develop that are valuable in the workforce?

Math majors develop strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills through their coursework. They also gain proficiency in various mathematical concepts and tools, such as statistics, calculus, and coding languages, which can be applied to a variety of industries and job roles.

4. How can I stand out as a math major in the job market?

One way to stand out as a math major in the job market is to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or participation in math-related clubs and organizations. Additionally, highlighting your problem-solving abilities and quantitative skills on your resume and during interviews can make you a desirable candidate for employers.

5. Are there any resources available to help math majors explore career options?

Yes, there are many resources available to help math majors explore career options. Career centers at universities often offer guidance and resources for students looking to explore different career paths. Additionally, professional organizations, such as the Mathematical Association of America, provide resources and networking opportunities for math majors to connect with professionals in various industries.