1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Careers From Quantum Physics

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    I am a student in Australia,NSW I am looking for Bachelors & Degrees in University.
    Quantum Physics looks very interesting, but i dont know what life careers i wanna use it for and I dont know any jobs that acquires Quantum Physics within it. Like can anyone tell me what pathways are there? Like do I get paid fairly?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2
    there aren't really careers specific to quantum mechanics, but any working physicist needs to know it. one of my profs said that stat mech and quantum mechanics are the two subjects that every physicist absolutely needs to know how to use.

...or you can study quantum mechanics half-assed and write books about how thinking about things actually changes reality and claim to be the reincarnation of an atlantean war god.

4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    I'm not sure if this was already evident, but you could always become a College Professor in your respective field. It's a great job that allows you to do research!

5. Jul 29, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::uhh::cry:

Anyway, you could consider going into solid state physics or condensed matter physics. Both of these fields use quantum mechanics and have interesting research opportunities, and, depending on the research, a wide variety of applications. I'm only a student, working from my experience as an undergraduate in a solid state lab. I'm sure someone with more experience in these fields can elaborate more than I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?