Careers in Finance: Physics vs Business Majors

In summary, physics majors are often sought after in the finance industry due to their strong background in math. This is especially true for quantitative analyst and actuary positions. Business majors may not have the same level of mathematical skills, making them less desirable for these roles.
XxsithlordxX
I've heard that firms tend to hire physics majors because business majors can't do the necessary math. Whats the difference? Sorry I'm a noob.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most often when people discuss physics and finance they're referring to quantitative analysts.

There are lots of areas of finance though, and a few other jobs may qualify - actuary, for instance.

XxsithlordxX said:
I've heard that firms tend to hire physics majors because business majors can't do the necessary math. Whats the difference? Sorry I'm a noob.

For some jobs that's true. I work near a trading floor, and the section of the firm that I work has about half Ph.D.'s (physics, math, engineering) and the other half experienced computer programmers with masters degrees.

What is the main difference between a career in finance for a physics major vs a business major?

The main difference between a career in finance for a physics major vs a business major is their educational background and skill set. Physics majors typically have a strong foundation in mathematics and analytical thinking, while business majors have a background in economics and business management.

Can a physics major have a successful career in finance?

Yes, a physics major can have a successful career in finance. Their strong quantitative and problem-solving skills make them well-suited for roles such as financial analyst or data analyst in the finance industry. They may also have an advantage in understanding complex financial models and theories.

Are there any specific roles in finance that are better suited for physics majors?

There are several roles in finance that may be better suited for physics majors, such as quantitative analyst, risk analyst, or financial engineer. These roles require strong analytical skills and the ability to work with complex data and models, which are skills that physics majors possess.

What are the advantages of having a business major in a finance career?

Having a business major in a finance career can provide a strong understanding of economic principles, financial markets, and business management. This can be advantageous in roles such as financial advisor, investment banker, or corporate finance manager.

Is it possible to combine a physics major with a business minor for a career in finance?

Yes, it is possible to combine a physics major with a business minor for a career in finance. This combination can provide a well-rounded skill set that includes both analytical and business skills, making you a strong candidate for roles that require both quantitative and business knowledge.