Preparing for Grad School: Set Theory & Logician Career Prospects

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans for graduate school as a pure math major with a philosophy minor. They express interest in set theory and becoming a logician, but are concerned about the job prospects in these fields. They also mention difficulties finding a school that offers set theory. The other person in the conversation mentions the use of mathematical logic in crime investigation and recommends a talk by Itay Neeman, a math professor at UCLA.
JonF
This year I’m going to be a senior and I’m going to start applying to graduate programs soon. I’m a pure math major with a philosophy minor. I really would like to do my grad work in set theory, or become a logician. But the career prospects look grim in these fields. Is this the case or am I worrying about nothing. Also I can’t seem to find a school that offers anything in set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crime Investigator

I don't know too much about it, but expert systems in computer science make applied use of mathematical logic.

there is at least one ICM talk in the area, by this guy:

Itay Neeman
Department of Mathematics
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA* 90095-1555
Phone: (310) 794 5317
Fax: (310) 206-6673
Email: ineeman at math.ucla.edu

*Courses (2005-06, Spring 2005, Winter 2005, Fall 2004)

On Leave, at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin, Wallotstrasse 19, 14193 Berlin, Germany

mathwonk, you are my hero

1. What is set theory and why is it important for a career in logic?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is important for a career in logic because sets are fundamental to the study of logic. Many logical systems rely on the concept of sets to define and manipulate propositions and arguments.

2. How can I prepare for graduate school in set theory and logic?

To prepare for graduate school in set theory and logic, it is important to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in areas such as algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. It is also helpful to have some familiarity with formal logic and mathematical proofs. Additionally, reading and studying advanced texts in set theory and logic can help prepare for graduate-level coursework.

3. What are some potential career prospects for someone with a degree in set theory and logic?

Some potential career prospects for someone with a degree in set theory and logic include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, or working as a mathematical or logical consultant for various organizations. Graduates with this background may also find opportunities in fields such as computer science or artificial intelligence.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for success in a career in set theory and logic?

In addition to a strong mathematical background, success in a career in set theory and logic requires critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think abstractly. It is also important to have good problem-solving abilities and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

5. What are some resources for further exploration of set theory and logic?

There are many resources available for further exploration of set theory and logic, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. Some universities also offer summer programs or conferences focused on these topics. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and attending seminars or workshops can provide valuable insights and resources for further exploration.