1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Careers in Quantum Mechanics?

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    Over the past few weeks I have been attempting to research opportunities for specializing in quantum mechanics/quantum field theory or a related field such as particle physics. I was wondering what the best academic path would be for this field of study and what my chances are of finding a specialization involving quantum mechanics. If not, I would feel grateful if you also mentioned any related possible career choices.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about quantum computers - ideal for experimentalists and theoreticians!

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    welcome to forum
    Accelerator physics is a good one.

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4
    Much of modern physics research uses quantum mechanics! So you have plenty of options.

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5

Physics_UG

Gold Member

actually, accelerator physics uses very little quantum mechanics...mostly classical EM and mechanics.

7. Nov 7, 2013 #6
    As a soon-to-be math Ph.D. who's been working in non-relativistic mathematical quantum scattering theory, the dearth of responses to this question is a little disheartening :smile: What are we to do if we don't go into academia? What industries would be looking for someone with our skills? Are there any?

8. Nov 7, 2013 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By definition a lot of academic research is ... academic. I am an electrical engineering PhD and I don't work in my graduate specialization at all either, so it isn't just mathematicians and physicists. You are learning how to attack hard problems, be self-guided and independent, as well as getting a deep understanding of some branch(es) of math (and in your case, some physics).

jason

9. Nov 8, 2013 #8
    In my experience, the places looking for your skills are mostly insurance and finance companies (like most math and physics phds). Its a tough sell to engineering companies.

10. Nov 8, 2013 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quantum3700, .
    Please let us know your level of school.

If as I expect you are a high school student then the best thing you can do to prepare for a future in science or engineering is to become proficient in math. Take every class you can and strive to learn.

I am locking this. When you return, hit the report button to have a mod re-open the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook