Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Careful what you download

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1

Staff: Mentor

Police Nab Creator of Webcam Trojan

Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2
    So your web cam could capture videos from you when you think that it is idle. First time I think of it!
  4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    I'm curious as to the exact method he used to distribute the trojan. Scary stuff to say the least.
  5. Jan 20, 2005 #4

That is the FIRST thing that I think of concerning web-cams.
  6. Jan 21, 2005 #5
    i have mine stairing into the wall all the time so he is more than welcome to "hi-jack" it.
  7. Jan 21, 2005 #6
    I don't own one, so he can hijack all the webcams he wants for all i care, its the other stuff that bugs me. Most webcams are really poor quality anyway, and not worth it.
  8. Jan 21, 2005 #7
    haha yeah, he's going to have fun watching fuzzy people stare into their screens. =/

All the scary :devil: trojans like Sub7/BackOrifice have always been able to capture webcams coudln't they ?

9. Jan 21, 2005 #8

i got one that took over my mouse once, it started jumping back and forth across the screen.

I' ripped that network cable out so fast i'm suprised i din't take the whole network card with it. Then a few hours in safe mode figuring out what the hell it was and killing it. Not a fun day.
  10. Jan 27, 2005 #9
    Yeah, I don't see how this is news, considering sub7 has been able to capture webcams for a while now, as well as do other cool things like flashing your keyboard lights, typing messages onscreen, and my personal favorite - opening the cd trays.
  11. Mar 16, 2005 #10

Staff: Mentor

New Ad Attacks

Ads and adware have a new way to get on your PC: via music and video files. We show how they do it and how to stop them.

Andrew Brandt and Eric Dahl
    From the February 2005 issue of PC World magazine

12. Mar 27, 2005 #11
    yep same is the case here! but its a real new technique! :bugeye:
    i had heard about those Cdrom ones and even got though that beery screen one!
    Real care one needs to have while surfing these days!
  13. Mar 31, 2005 #12

That's a particularly easy one. Any spyware programm working thourgh IE can pull that off.
  14. Mar 31, 2005 #13

Gold Member

Yah.. whats so great about watcing people at their computers? I mean, think of what you probably look like right now... no ones ever doing anything worth wihle of watching at their computers most of the time..... oo, scratch that... SOME people might be doing something infront fo their computers lol.

And yah, those trojans or a good hacker could activate ur mic and camera if he wanted.
  15. Mar 31, 2005 #14
    hmm, i always have my webcam hooked up and my comp always on... and my dorm room is kinda small... i can think of a few things a guy'd be able to see if they got to watch my webcam all day....

Actually, i was camming with a friend the other day, and some creepo imed me and asked if he could watch too, and i was like no... private showing, sorry, like i was nice and all. And the guy like tweaked and starting saying how he was gonna watch whether i liked it or not, and that once he got something, i forget what he said he needed to do, but once he did it, he'd broadcast it off his site or something. I forget. But it was really creepy.

so, i have like spybot, and mcaffee, and i run them regularly, should i get something else? whats the best way to like, protect myself?
  16. Mar 31, 2005 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Condoms and pills...

P.S.Interesting story...:wink:
  17. Mar 31, 2005 #16
    Thanks daniel, super helpful...
  18. Mar 31, 2005 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought this wasn't the homework help section...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?