Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carerra GT vs new Vette

1. Porsche Carerra GT

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Chevy Corvette Z06

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Aug 20, 2005 #1
    I figure we need a poll to settle the Porsche vs Vette thread that has come up.

This isn't about affordability.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I've never liked american or japanese engineered cars. I prefer european cars due to their shear elegance and high performance.

If I had the money I would get an Enzo Ferrari for driving and a Maybach 62 for riding.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  4. Aug 20, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I prefer a better handling car versus a simply powerful car. While I can appreciate what the vette brings to the American market, I love powerful, great handling sedans like BMWs.

5. Aug 20, 2005 #4
    Actually Porsche is an European company. Its corporate headquaters is found in Austria, and the founder of Porsche worked for Dlimer (sp?) (Mercasides-Benzs), and also helped desingned the first Vlotswagens. As for a driving car I'd prefer a BMW 760 Li sedan and move up to a M6 series when it hits the market. For my cruising model I'd like a Corvette that has been tricked out by Bob Northwood

6. Aug 20, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I own a Mazda 6 - is that Japanese or American?

7. Aug 20, 2005 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It's Japanese

8. Aug 20, 2005 #7
    Ford is Japanese?

9. Aug 20, 2005 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

"Mazda Motor Corporation is an automobile maker based in Hiroshima, Japan."

Ford owns Jaguar, but it is still a British vehicle.

10. Aug 20, 2005 #9
  11. Aug 20, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I know Ford is more Mazda than Mazda is Ford - I was just making the point that a lot of cars are multinational today. I wasn't even sure where my 6 was built (according to the Wik article, all are built in Flat Rock). I'll check the sticker tomorrow about the parts fraction. It is, however, Japanese engineered. I have the 4 cylinder, which is a Mazda engine - the V6 is a Ford engine.

Good Wik article, btw - I learned a lot about my car I didn't know. Can't wait to see what they do with the hybrid version...

12. Aug 20, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yes a lot of cars are built multinationally today, but that doesn't mean they are designed multinationally. For example, BMW has plants in Germany and South Africa, but the cars are designed in Germany.

13. Aug 20, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't really fit into a Porsche too easily. Then again, I didn't fit into a Corvette too easily until about 2000 or so. Personally, I prefer view and space over power and speed anyway. Having a fast car does nothing during a bumper-to-bumper commute, and when I'm out driving on the highway, I like to be leisurely about it and enjoy the scenery. I was driving an Expedition until my license expired and I didn't bother renewing it.

14. Aug 20, 2005 #13
    Getting a driver's license - more painful the second time

If you mean your driver's license, that will cost you. You will have to go again through the entire process of getting tested and paying exhorbitant fees in order to get a new license. Meanwhile, employees of institutions will want to know why you do not have a 'real' ID.

Someone will have to drive you down to the DMV and let you borrow his car and sit around waiting while you are tested. The DMV driving tester will be curious to know why you seem to know how to drive.

15. Aug 20, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I went to get it renewed and found out it had been suspended. For whatever reason, the city of Los Angeles claims that I never took care of a fix-it ticket that would now cost me around $600 or so. I did take care of the ticket, but it was almost two years ago, so I have no receipt or proof at this point. I don't know what to do, and I almost never drive anyway, so why should I bother? A state ID is perfectly fine for a "real" ID. I know it's almost impossible for most modern people to imagine living without a car, but it's really not that bad.

16. Aug 20, 2005 #15

Mk

It really depends on where you live. If you live in a big city like Los Angeles you can make it by with walking, riding a bicycle, the bus, and taxis, each with its pros and cons.

17. Aug 21, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometime before too long I'm going to rent a top car for a day or two.

I just did a little checking...

Lamborghini Diablo VT
    Rental Rates

$2800.00 per day.
    $16800.00 per week.
    :eek:
    However,
    50 miles included.
    $2.00 per additional mile.
    http://www.bhrentacar.com/vehicle_info.php?vid=5&h=0

Hmmm, I think this is going take some quick talking on my part; Right, married guys?

18. Aug 21, 2005 #17
    Where did you hear this to?

19. Aug 21, 2005 #18

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Jaguar has somethingl like 3 plants in Britian.

20. Aug 21, 2005 #19
    yea, a really big one in coventry aswell.

21. Aug 21, 2005 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?