Porsche Carrera GT vs Chevy Corvette: Which Is Better?

• Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
In summary: Someone will have to drive you down to the DMV and let you borrow his car and sit around waiting while you are tested. The DMV driving tester will be curious to know why you seem to know how to drive.I went to get it renewed and found out it had been suspended. For whatever reason, the city of Los Angeles claims that I never took care of a fix-it ticket that would now cost me around $600 or so. I did take care of the ticket, but it was almost two years ago, so I have no receipt or proof at this point. I don't know what to do, and I almost never drive anyway, so why should I bother? A state ID is perfectly fine for a

Which car rules? (Latest models of each)

• Porsche Carerra GT

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Chevy Corvette Z06

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
rocketboy
I figure we need a poll to settle the Porsche vs Vette thread that has come up.

This isn't about affordability.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never liked american or japanese engineered cars. I prefer european cars due to their shear elegance and high performance.

If I had the money I would get an Enzo Ferrari for driving and a Maybach 62 for riding.

Last edited:
I prefer a better handling car versus a simply powerful car. While I can appreciate what the vette brings to the American market, I love powerful, great handling sedans like BMWs.

Actually Porsche is an European company. Its corporate headquaters is found in Austria, and the founder of Porsche worked for Dlimer (sp?) (Mercasides-Benzs), and also helped desingned the first Vlotswagens. As for a driving car I'd prefer a BMW 760 Li sedan and move up to a M6 series when it hits the market. For my cruising model I'd like a Corvette that has been tricked out by Bob Northwood

I own a Mazda 6 - is that Japanese or American?

russ_watters said:
I own a Mazda 6 - is that Japanese or American?

It's Japanese

dduardo said:
It's Japanese
Ford is Japanese?

hitssquad said:
Ford is Japanese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

"Mazda Motor Corporation is an automobile maker based in Hiroshima, Japan."

Ford owns Jaguar, but it is still a British vehicle.

Michigan, Hiroshima Prefecture, same difference

dduardo said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda
"Mazda Motor Corporation is an automobile maker based in Hiroshima, Japan."
Welcome to Flat Rock, Michigan Prefecture, Japan.
http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/19/b01-615423.htm [Broken]

dduardo said:
Ford owns Jaguar, but it is still a British vehicle.
Jaguars are made in Ford factories in the United States?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Ford is more Mazda than Mazda is Ford - I was just making the point that a lot of cars are multinational today. I wasn't even sure where my 6 was built (according to the Wik article, all are built in Flat Rock). I'll check the sticker tomorrow about the parts fraction. It is, however, Japanese engineered. I have the 4 cylinder, which is a Mazda engine - the V6 is a Ford engine.

Good Wik article, btw - I learned a lot about my car I didn't know. Can't wait to see what they do with the hybrid version...

Last edited:
Yes a lot of cars are built multinationally today, but that doesn't mean they are designed multinationally. For example, BMW has plants in Germany and South Africa, but the cars are designed in Germany.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't really fit into a Porsche too easily. Then again, I didn't fit into a Corvette too easily until about 2000 or so. Personally, I prefer view and space over power and speed anyway. Having a fast car does nothing during a bumper-to-bumper commute, and when I'm out driving on the highway, I like to be leisurely about it and enjoy the scenery. I was driving an Expedition until my license expired and I didn't bother renewing it.

Getting a driver's license - more painful the second time

loseyourname said:
I was driving an Expedition until my license expired and I didn't bother renewing it.
If you mean your driver's license, that will cost you. You will have to go again through the entire process of getting tested and paying exhorbitant fees in order to get a new license. Meanwhile, employees of institutions will want to know why you do not have a 'real' ID.

Someone will have to drive you down to the DMV and let you borrow his car and sit around waiting while you are tested. The DMV driving tester will be curious to know why you seem to know how to drive.

Last edited:
hitssquad said:
If you mean your driver's license, that will cost you. You will have to go again through the entire process of getting tested and paying exhorbitant fees in order to get a new license. Meanwhile, employees of institutions will want to know why you do not have a 'real' ID.

Someone will have to drive you down to the DMV and let you borrow his car and sit around waiting while you are tested. The DMV driving tester will be curious to know why you seem to know how to drive.

I went to get it renewed and found out it had been suspended. For whatever reason, the city of Los Angeles claims that I never took care of a fix-it ticket that would now cost me around $600 or so. I did take care of the ticket, but it was almost two years ago, so I have no receipt or proof at this point. I don't know what to do, and I almost never drive anyway, so why should I bother? A state ID is perfectly fine for a "real" ID. I know it's almost impossible for most modern people to imagine living without a car, but it's really not that bad.

loseyourname said:
I know it's almost impossible for most modern people to imagine living without a car, but it's really not that bad.
It really depends on where you live. If you live in a big city like Los Angeles you can make it by with walking, riding a bicycle, the bus, and taxis, each with its pros and cons.

Sometime before too long I'm going to rent a top car for a day or two.

I just did a little checking...

Lamborghini Diablo VT
Rental Rates

$2800.00 per day.
$16800.00 per week.
:eek:
However,
50 miles included.
$2.00 per additional mile.
http://www.bhrentacar.com/vehicle_info.php?vid=5&h=0

Hmmm, I think this is going take some quick talking on my part; Right, married guys?

Jaguars are made in Ford factories in the United States?

Where did you hear this to?

Jaguar has somethingl like 3 plants in Britian.

yea, a really big one in coventry aswell.

hitssquad said:
"Coventry has lost Jaguar"

news.google.com/news?q=jaguar%20coventry

idiots at ford/jaguar abandoned alluminum design while germans and japanese are making cars out of alluminum(top end) and selling them like hotcakes.
ford should can whole jaguar anyway, they are ugliest cars on the road.

Old men will always buy jaguars, they have that market cornered.

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/uk/en/company/company_today/locations.htm [Broken]

Make what you want of that link.

Last edited by a moderator:
13th paragraph, Andy.
news.google.com/news?ie=UTF-8&q=jaguar+%22coventry+has+lost%22

--
In his letter, Mr Robinson said: "It is disappointing your officials have not yet met Jean-Martin Folz. We understood that the meeting had already taken place.

"Yes, it is good news that the 206 will continue for a few years yet.

"But the point is that, given the lean times in the motor industry, decisions must be taken now if a programme is to be introduced in time for the 206's phase out.

"There is no room for complacency. Coventry has lost Jaguar, Massey Ferguson and Stadco and faces severe reductions at Marconi."
[...]
Household names in the West Midlands which have either reduced dramatically in size or disappeared include MG Rover, Massey Ferguson, Jaguar, Alstom, Goodyear and Waterford-Wedgwood.
--

Its still there at the moment though.

D'OH, WHERE THAT OTHER LINK COME FROM.

Castle bromwich is still in the UK.

If Jaguar had three factories in the UK and none anywhere else, and one of the factories was in Castle Bromwich, wouldn't Castle Bromwich have to be in the UK?

Ford have a 1/3 share in mazda.
Ford own Jaguar, The Landrover line and Volvo.
the Drive train, floor pan and some interior parts off the Ford Mondeo are used on the Jag X-type :cry:

Any way back to the OP.

The Carerra if far better than the Vette. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn`t matter how powerfull the car is, if it can`t transfer that power to the road it sucks, and unfortunattly that is where the Vette falls down they still use leaf sprung suspention in the 21 century. My dad had a 1950`s Landrover with leaf sprung suspention!

The most important part of a car is not the power or looks but the chasie and the aerodynamics. The Lotus Elise uses a 1.8 litre engine developing 189BHP but will go around a track far quicker than most other cars. Why because it transfers that power to the road in the most efficent way at every point on the track.

Last edited:
zanazzi78 said:
the Vette falls down they still use leaf sprung suspention in the 21 century.
7:42 at Nurburgring.

Porshe. I always prefer European to American or Japanese if money doesn't matter. If it does, then japan has my vote.

I drive an '05 Mazda 3, russ watters. You ought to be ashamed having to ask which country Mazda is. Tisk tisk.
P.S. Let's race. zoom zoom.

zanazzi78 said:
Thank you, BWM from where ... EUROPE!
Actually, I think that might be the race version of the BMW M3 GTR. The fastest production time on that list looks like 7:32.4 for the Carrera GT.

I'd say the Porsche. Generally prefer European cars for their handling, which is more of an issue over here because we actually have corners in Europe.

However, I'd never have a Porsche. To me, they seem devoid of all character. Give me something like a Lotus or TVR instead.

<h2>1. What are the key differences between the Porsche Carrera GT and the Chevy Corvette?</h2><p>The Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette are both high-performance sports cars, but there are several key differences between them. The Carrera GT is a mid-engine car with a V10 engine, while the Corvette is front-engine with a V8 engine. The Carrera GT also has a manual transmission, while the Corvette has an automatic transmission. Additionally, the Carrera GT has a more luxurious interior and a higher price tag compared to the Corvette.</p><h2>2. Which car has better performance?</h2><p>Both the Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette have impressive performance capabilities. The Carrera GT has a top speed of 205 mph and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The Corvette has a top speed of 194 mph and can go from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Ultimately, the better performance will depend on personal preferences and driving style.</p><h2>3. Which car is more reliable?</h2><p>Both Porsche and Chevy have a reputation for producing reliable cars. However, the Carrera GT is a limited production car and may require more specialized maintenance and repairs. The Corvette, on the other hand, is a more common car and may have more accessible parts and service options.</p><h2>4. Which car is more expensive to own?</h2><p>The Porsche Carrera GT is significantly more expensive than the Chevy Corvette, both in terms of initial cost and ongoing maintenance. The Carrera GT has a starting price of over $400,000, while the Corvette starts at around $60,000. Additionally, the Carrera GT may require more expensive maintenance and repairs due to its limited production and specialized parts.</p><h2>5. Which car is better for everyday use?</h2><p>Neither the Porsche Carrera GT nor the Chevy Corvette are designed for everyday use. They are both high-performance sports cars that are better suited for track driving or occasional use. However, the Corvette may be more practical for everyday use due to its more affordable price and more practical features such as a larger trunk and more comfortable seating.</p>

1. What are the key differences between the Porsche Carrera GT and the Chevy Corvette?

The Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette are both high-performance sports cars, but there are several key differences between them. The Carrera GT is a mid-engine car with a V10 engine, while the Corvette is front-engine with a V8 engine. The Carrera GT also has a manual transmission, while the Corvette has an automatic transmission. Additionally, the Carrera GT has a more luxurious interior and a higher price tag compared to the Corvette.

2. Which car has better performance?

Both the Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette have impressive performance capabilities. The Carrera GT has a top speed of 205 mph and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The Corvette has a top speed of 194 mph and can go from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Ultimately, the better performance will depend on personal preferences and driving style.

3. Which car is more reliable?

Both Porsche and Chevy have a reputation for producing reliable cars. However, the Carrera GT is a limited production car and may require more specialized maintenance and repairs. The Corvette, on the other hand, is a more common car and may have more accessible parts and service options.

4. Which car is more expensive to own?

The Porsche Carrera GT is significantly more expensive than the Chevy Corvette, both in terms of initial cost and ongoing maintenance. The Carrera GT has a starting price of over $400,000, while the Corvette starts at around $60,000. Additionally, the Carrera GT may require more expensive maintenance and repairs due to its limited production and specialized parts.

5. Which car is better for everyday use?

Neither the Porsche Carrera GT nor the Chevy Corvette are designed for everyday use. They are both high-performance sports cars that are better suited for track driving or occasional use. However, the Corvette may be more practical for everyday use due to its more affordable price and more practical features such as a larger trunk and more comfortable seating.