Porsche Carrera GT vs Chevy Corvette: Which Is Better?

• Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
In summary: Someone will have to drive you down to the DMV and let you borrow his car and sit around waiting while you are tested. The DMV driving tester will be curious to know why you seem to know how to drive.I went to get it renewed and found out it had been suspended. For whatever reason, the city of Los Angeles claims that I never took care of a fix-it ticket that would now cost me around $600 or so. I did take care of the ticket, but it was almost two years ago, so I have no receipt or proof at this point. I don't know what to do, and I almost never drive anyway, so why should I bother? A state ID is perfectly fine for a

Which car rules? (Latest models of each)

• Porsche Carerra GT

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • Chevy Corvette Z06

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Mixing BMW-parts

Hello everybody !

Here's a complete newby as far as kitcar building goes. I'm still (for a long time now) thinking about what to built and if I could make it work. My choice was almost made for an Autotune Gemini, but recently I found out about the Marlin Sportster. I like the BMW idea of this built, so I'm considering the options now.

My actual question is: Could I use suspension, gear box, rear axle etc. of E30 BMW's and use the BMW E36 M3 engine, wiring loom etc or that of http://www.auto-parts-wholesale.com/mm/bmw/7-series/760.html"? I think it would be cheaper to use as much E30 parts as possible, but I like the M3 engine ... Besides that I read somewhere that using E36 suspension, axle, diff bits give more trouble in mounting ? Or is this all just coming out of the mind of a mad man and would I better buy a complete E36 M3 ? Finally perhaps anyone who says that an M3 enginge is not necessary or useless anyway ?

Like to read your thoughts on this ! Guess I'll might have some more questions/thoughts before and after the purchase ! Hope to read some usefell stuff !

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Russ pointed out a couple of years ago, the nationality of the nameplate means nothing. Ford closed their Marysvill, OH, plant saying that it was old and antiquated and citing high labor costs. Honda bought the plant, hired back most of the Ford labor force and launched the production of the Honda Accord, built in the USA with the highest percentage of US-made parts of all the cars that were supposedly manufactured in the US, and took the #1 spot for mid-sized cars sold in the US. The only way Ford was able to topple them from the #1 spot was to buy their own cars (Taurus) from themselves and lease them to rental car companies at huge discounts.

I own a Z06, and would prefer the Carerra GT, however, I don't have $450,000 (USA) to buy the Carerra GT. The Carerra GT has 606hp and is lighter than the Z06. Nordschleife time in the Carerra GT is 7:28, while a pre-production Z06 ran a 7:42.9, although the actual car has had slight improvements since that run.

However, the Z06 just looks like another Corvette, so it doesn't attract a lot of attention and I use it as my daily driver (or my motorcycle).

Regarding the Nordschleife "production" car record, a Radical SR8 holds the current record at 6:55. This is basically a street legal (in some countries) race car.

Sedan type race cars run faster times than 6:55, but these are true race cars with slicks. A video of a BMW M3 GTR race car running combined Nurburg F1 track and Nordschleife:

http://jeffareid.net/real/m3gtrnrd.wmv [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
GREATTT VIDEO JEFF. Thats what I call being alive!

zanazzi78 said:
The Carerra if far better than the Vette. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn`t matter how powerfull the car is, if it can`t transfer that power to the road it sucks, and unfortunattly that is where the Vette falls down they still use leaf sprung suspention in the 21 century. My dad had a 1950`s Landrover with leaf sprung suspention!

I bet both cars have pneumatic tires too :rolleyes:. Stop making stuff up and learn a little about cars before condemning them over nationalistic prejudices. That Land Rover uses heavy longitudinal multileaf steel springs that serve as suspension links. Corvettes use lightweight transverse composite springs that do not affect the suspension geometry in any way. Such a spring is no better or worse than an equivalent coil. It just takes up space differently.

Vettes are actually known to be excellent at transferring their power to the road. The design is about as good as it can be for that purpose. For overall chassis performance, nothing else can touch a Z06 on the track for anywhere near that price range (unless you go to stripped out race cars with no bodywork, near-solid springs, and 2" of ground clearance). You can argue about various subjective qualities, but the Vette is an excellent value if you want to go extremely fast in comfort for relatively little money.

All that said, I don't see how anyone would take the Vette over the Carrera. The Porsche costs 6 times as much, so it had better be a much better car.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This isn't even a fair poll. The vette is one of the worst cars for the money.
The Carerra GT costs something like 8 times more though...

moose said:
The Carerra GT costs something like 8 times more though...

Right but at the Z06's price tag of 70k, I'd rather have a BMW 6 series or Audi A8.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Right but at the Z06's price tag of 70k, I'd rather have a BMW 6 series or Audi A8.

Ok, but those cars are designed to do completely different things. If that's what you like, I doubt you'd want a CGT either.

<h2>1. What are the key differences between the Porsche Carrera GT and the Chevy Corvette?</h2><p>The Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette are both high-performance sports cars, but there are several key differences between them. The Carrera GT is a mid-engine car with a V10 engine, while the Corvette is front-engine with a V8 engine. The Carrera GT also has a manual transmission, while the Corvette has an automatic transmission. Additionally, the Carrera GT has a more luxurious interior and a higher price tag compared to the Corvette.</p><h2>2. Which car has better performance?</h2><p>Both the Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette have impressive performance capabilities. The Carrera GT has a top speed of 205 mph and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The Corvette has a top speed of 194 mph and can go from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Ultimately, the better performance will depend on personal preferences and driving style.</p><h2>3. Which car is more reliable?</h2><p>Both Porsche and Chevy have a reputation for producing reliable cars. However, the Carrera GT is a limited production car and may require more specialized maintenance and repairs. The Corvette, on the other hand, is a more common car and may have more accessible parts and service options.</p><h2>4. Which car is more expensive to own?</h2><p>The Porsche Carrera GT is significantly more expensive than the Chevy Corvette, both in terms of initial cost and ongoing maintenance. The Carrera GT has a starting price of over $400,000, while the Corvette starts at around $60,000. Additionally, the Carrera GT may require more expensive maintenance and repairs due to its limited production and specialized parts.</p><h2>5. Which car is better for everyday use?</h2><p>Neither the Porsche Carrera GT nor the Chevy Corvette are designed for everyday use. They are both high-performance sports cars that are better suited for track driving or occasional use. However, the Corvette may be more practical for everyday use due to its more affordable price and more practical features such as a larger trunk and more comfortable seating.</p>

1. What are the key differences between the Porsche Carrera GT and the Chevy Corvette?

The Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette are both high-performance sports cars, but there are several key differences between them. The Carrera GT is a mid-engine car with a V10 engine, while the Corvette is front-engine with a V8 engine. The Carrera GT also has a manual transmission, while the Corvette has an automatic transmission. Additionally, the Carrera GT has a more luxurious interior and a higher price tag compared to the Corvette.

2. Which car has better performance?

Both the Porsche Carrera GT and Chevy Corvette have impressive performance capabilities. The Carrera GT has a top speed of 205 mph and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. The Corvette has a top speed of 194 mph and can go from 0-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Ultimately, the better performance will depend on personal preferences and driving style.

3. Which car is more reliable?

Both Porsche and Chevy have a reputation for producing reliable cars. However, the Carrera GT is a limited production car and may require more specialized maintenance and repairs. The Corvette, on the other hand, is a more common car and may have more accessible parts and service options.

4. Which car is more expensive to own?

The Porsche Carrera GT is significantly more expensive than the Chevy Corvette, both in terms of initial cost and ongoing maintenance. The Carrera GT has a starting price of over $400,000, while the Corvette starts at around $60,000. Additionally, the Carrera GT may require more expensive maintenance and repairs due to its limited production and specialized parts.

5. Which car is better for everyday use?

Neither the Porsche Carrera GT nor the Chevy Corvette are designed for everyday use. They are both high-performance sports cars that are better suited for track driving or occasional use. However, the Corvette may be more practical for everyday use due to its more affordable price and more practical features such as a larger trunk and more comfortable seating.