Caricatures AGAIN Was it really free speech?

• News
  • Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
cyrusabdollahi said:
Maybe there are, so you find me some. I don't have to look, you're the one making that claim.
A two-for-one sale! Jesus and Bush in the same cartoon!

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushvsjesus.htm

Cyrus, it is in extremely poor taste to ask for proof of obvious facts. I cannot believe that you wouldn't know that such cartoons exist both in the US and the ME.

Hurkyl said:
I will assume this implies that you do not place any blame on anyone else then. Thank you -- I feel better knowing that I really am responding to what I think I'm responding to.

Of course. The blame clearly falls square on the shoulders of the people who ran the cartoon. However, when you do choose to publish such a cartoon that insults another country, you do run the very real and very serious risk, of giving your own country a black eye. It’s not fair to the people of Denmark, but that’s the way the world works. Sometimes you have to do things you want to, to ensure peace and stability.

(2) Of course, we must also consider that freedom of expression deserves defending. I think we agree that it's a bad thing that artists and journalists are being held accountable with their very lives. What do you think is a good way of doing that, since you do not seem to think defying those who intimidate as acceptable.

I am not clear on your question, can you please elaborate?

It's entirely within their rights to boycott Iran in response to the Danish cartoons too! Just because they have the right to do it doesn't mean it was an appropriate response.

In their eyes, it is appropriate. It is nonviolent, and I think that was the high road for them to take, and for that I applaud them in that regard.

I find it difficult to see how there could be a healthy and respectful relationship if the Middle East demands suppression of free speech in the Western world.

Again, I have to tell you go to back and read what I wrote. You have missed what I have explicitly stated. It is not a demand on suppression of free speech. It is the simple request of restraint on insulting prophet Muhammad. This is the last time I am going to say this, so pay attention everyone. They have the right to publish anything they wish. But when they choose to publish against the prophet Muhammad, the Islamic society is not going to sit idly by. There will be demonstrations and there will be protests.

Russ, was that made by the Middle East?

I believe we just had a long discussion about the quality of the postings in this forum....

Why don’t you present your material in one nice post and stop flooding this thread with all your ranting Russ. This is getting to be annoying on your part, please stop. I was having a nice discussion with Hurkyl until you came in here.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay folks, this thread wasn't supposed to just continue the old, locked discussion, but to bring new evidence to light and discuss a different perspective. Since there are now several pages rehashing the same old discussion that was already locked, I'm simply locking this one too.