Skepticism: Is Carmelian Cosmology Meaningful?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, a newbie brought up Carmelian cosmology in a serious thread and although they seem to believe it, upon further examination it appears to be nonsense. The poster mentions being amazed that someone with a physics background could believe in such crazy things. They also remind others to follow the guidelines of the forum, which does not allow for discussion of crackpot claims or personal theories.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a serious thread, a newbie brought up Carmelian cosmology and clearly thinks it's meaningful but in the brief look I gave it, it looks like nonsense, which is why I put this post in Skepticism & Debunking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind. I spent a few more minutes looking at it. It's lunacy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It amazes me that people with that much physics experience, at least an undergrad degree in physics I'd say, can still be so convinced of things so crazy.

For the future, please note the "New rules and guidelines" sticky post at the top of this forum, which says, in part:

The purpose of the Skepticism and Debunking forum is to consider possible explanations for unexplained phenomena and discuss advertised product claims. [...] we do not discuss crackpot claims or personal theories. Threads that attempt to debunk crackpottery will be locked/deleted.

1. What is Carmelian Cosmology?

Carmelian Cosmology is a theory proposed by physicist Carmel Carmelian, which suggests that the universe is infinite and eternal, and that matter is constantly being created and destroyed in a cyclical pattern.

2. What is skepticism?

Skepticism is a philosophical approach that involves questioning and doubting claims and beliefs, and seeking evidence and rational arguments before accepting them as true.

3. How does Carmelian Cosmology differ from other cosmological theories?

Carmelian Cosmology differs from other cosmological theories, such as the Big Bang theory, in its rejection of a beginning or end to the universe. It also proposes a cyclical nature of the universe, unlike the linear progression suggested by other theories.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support Carmelian Cosmology?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support Carmelian Cosmology. It is considered a theoretical concept and has not been empirically tested or proven.

5. Why is skepticism important in regards to Carmelian Cosmology?

Skepticism is important in regards to Carmelian Cosmology because it encourages critical thinking and the evaluation of evidence before accepting a theory as true. As there is currently no scientific evidence to support Carmelian Cosmology, skepticism allows for a healthy questioning and exploration of the theory.