1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnival uniform motion

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You've taken your neighbor's young child to the carnival to ride the rides. She wants to ride The Rocket. Eight rocket-shaped cars hang by chains from the outside edge of a large steel disk. A vertical axle through the center of the ride turns the disk, causing the cars to revolve in a circle. You've just finished taking physics, so you decide to figure out the speed of the cars while you wait. You estimate that the disk is 5 m in diameter and the chains are 6 m long. The ride takes 10 s to reach full speed, then the cars swing out until the chains are 20 from vertical.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've been told a few times already...

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3
    I am not sure what is going on
  5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget the neighbor's kid. Picture a ball on a string going around an upright pole.

Draw that picture.

Make a free-body-diagram of the forces on the ball.
  6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
  7. Sep 28, 2007 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, now you need to use the information to find the tangential speed. Rotational kinematics.
  8. Sep 28, 2007 #7
    Using that information I get a speed of 8.93m/s which is not correct.

am I missing some idea
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  9. Sep 29, 2007 #8
    it's 4.033?
  10. Sep 29, 2007 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I misread the problem. The radius has to be re-evaluated. Rather than a string attached to a pole, is is a string attached to a 2.5 m radius disk. The radius of the circle taken by the chair will be 2.5 m + the horizontal component of the chain's length.
  11. Sep 30, 2007 #10
  12. Nov 14, 2007 #11
    please help

I have done

= 13.65

computer told me that it is not correct.

where did I went wrong?

Do I have to consider the "time factor" of 10 seconds as described in this problem?

please help.
  13. Oct 22, 2008 #12
    the radius isn't 8.5, it's 2.5 plus the "horizontal component of the chain's length", which is 6sin(20).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?