Carnot Cycle and Adiabatic process

In summary: V_C P_C= V_D P_D V_A P_A= V_B P_BP_D V_D^\gamma=P_A V_A^\gammaP_B V_B^\gamma=P_C V_C^\gamma/BobIn summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Carnot Cycles and Adiabatic processes. The system in question is a cylinder with n moles of a mono-atomic gas and undergoes a four-step Carnot Cycle (A-B, B-C, C-D, D-A). The first step, A-B, is an adiabatic process with no heat transfer and the goal is to calculate the change in pressure, volume, and temperature. The method suggested is to use the
Bob19
I have a question regarding Carnot Cycles and Adiabatic processs.

I have cylinder with n moles of a mono-atomic gas with a specific Volume, Pressure and Temperature. This Cylinder is closed by a piston.

This system undergoes the four step Carnot Cycle A-B, B-C, C-D and D-A.

A-B: Is the adiabatic process where no heat gets in or out Q=0. What I'm required to do is to calculate the change in Pressure, Volume and Temperature. Any hits or idears on how I do that?

Is it something about calculating the work done by the gas? Which during the adiabatic process expands the initial volume. But does this also change the pressure and temperature of the gas too ?

Sincerley and Best Regards,

Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks,

I will this out, and get back to You if the need more asistance.

/BOB

Bob19 said:
I have a question regarding Carnot Cycles and Adiabatic processs.

I have cylinder with n moles of a mono-atomic gas with a specific Volume, Pressure and Temperature. This Cylinder is closed by a piston.

This system undergoes the four step Carnot Cycle A-B, B-C, C-D and D-A.

A-B: Is the adiabatic process where no heat gets in or out Q=0. What I'm required to do is to calculate the change in Pressure, Volume and Temperature. Any hits or idears on how I do that?

Is it something about calculating the work done by the gas? Which during the adiabatic process expands the initial volume. But does this also change the pressure and temperature of the gas too ?
You will have to use the adiabatic condition: [tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

AM

Hello again,

The mono-atomic gas is not specified. Therefore which [tex]\gamma [/tex] -value do I use ? 1.64 or 1.69 ??

/Bob

Andrew Mason said:
You will have to use the adiabatic condition: [tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex]

AM

Therefore which [tex]\gamma [/tex]-value do I use ? 1.64 or 1.69 ??
:confused: i believed that for mono-atomic gas we assume [tex]\gamma=5/3=1.67 [/tex]

Yegor said:
:confused: i believed that for mono-atomic gas we assume [tex]\gamma=5/3=1.67 [/tex]

I have a second question.

As part of the carnot cycle I have the isothermical process D -> C, where

[tex]P_D = 711.3 \textrm{KPa} , V_D = 15.0 \textrm{L and} \ T_D = 584.43 \textrm{K}[/tex]

Since D and C are on the same path in the carnot cycle then according to theory T_D = T_C.

I'm required to calculate V_C from the data availible to me. Which formula do I use to calculate V_C ?

Sincerely
Bob

If A-B is adiabatic then C-D (or D-C) is also adiabatic.
Nevertheless, if both are isothermic, then you should use [tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex] for adiabatic and [tex]PV = constant[/tex] for isothermic.

[tex]P_D = 711.3 \textrm{KPa} , V_D = 15.0 \textrm{L and} \ T_D = 584.43 \textrm{K}[/tex]

I think that any parameter in point B or A must be given. Isn't it?

Since A and B are on the same path in the carnot cycle then

[tex]T_A = T_B[/tex]

I have reached the following point (where I'm stuck in my calculation of [tex]V_C[/tex] and [tex]P_{C}[/tex]

[tex]P_{c} * V_{c} = T_{c} \frac{P_{D} * V_{D}}{T_c}[/tex]

I get that [tex]P_{c} * V_{c} = 10671,5[/tex]

Can I use this result to obtain [tex]V_{C}[/tex] and [tex]P_{D}[/tex] ??

/Bob

Yegor said:
If A-B is adiabatic then C-D (or D-C) is also adiabatic.
Nevertheless, if both are isothermic, then you should use [tex]PV^\gamma = constant[/tex] for adiabatic and [tex]PV = constant[/tex] for isothermic.

I think that any parameter in point B or A must be given. Isn't it?

A-B: Is the adiabatic process where no heat gets in or out Q=0. What I'm required to do is to calculate the change in Pressure, Volume and Temperature
Or it was another problem?
I have reached the following point (where I'm stuck in my calculation of and
[tex]P_{c} * V_{c} = T_{c} \frac{P_{D} * V_{D}}{T_c}[/tex]
I get that [tex]P_{c} * V_{c} = 10671,5[/tex]
Can I use this result to obtain [tex]V_{C}[/tex] and [tex]P_{D}[/tex]??
Yes, you can use, but it isn't enough.
Do you really have nothing more given?

P.S. How it's possible to quote? What is the right command?

Hello again,

Yes its a different part of the problem this time:

First I made a typoo:

Here is the right formula

[tex]P_{c} * V_{c} = T_{c} \frac{P_{D} * V_{D}}{T_D}[/tex]

I'm told that [tex]V_C = 24 \ Liters[/tex] but how that's derrived from the above result I'm a bit unsure of ?

/Bob

Yegor said:
Or it was another problem?

Yes, you can use, but it isn't enough.
Do you really have nothing more given?

P.S. How it's possible to quote? What is the right command?

May be you should use any results from another parts of the problem!?
If you have worked this out you should have some information about other points of the cycle.

I have data for D and A the volume in C but not other data.

So what do I do ?

BOB

Yegor said:
May be you should use any results from another parts of the problem!?

If you have worked this out you should have some information about other points of the cycle.

C-D and A-B are isothermic; and D-A and B-C - adiabatic.
Then [tex] V_C P_C= V_D P_D[/tex]
[tex] V_A P_A= V_B P_B[/tex]
[tex]P_D V_D^\gamma=P_A V_A^\gamma[/tex]
[tex]P_B V_B^\gamma=P_C V_C^\gamma[/tex]
Also use [tex]PV^\gamma = TV^{\gamma-1}=P^{1-\gamma}T^\gamma =constant[/tex] for adiabatic. Now you can calculate all data

Yegor said:
C-D and A-B are isothermic; and D-A and B-C - adiabatic.
Then [tex] V_C P_C= V_D P_D[/tex]
[tex] V_A P_A= V_B P_B[/tex]
[tex]P_D V_D^\gamma=P_A V_A^\gamma[/tex]
[tex]P_B V_B^\gamma=P_C V_C^\gamma[/tex]
Also use [tex]PV^\gamma = TV^{\gamma-1}=P^{1-\gamma}T^\gamma =constant[/tex] for adiabatic. Now you can calculate all data

Hi,

Which of these formulas do I then use to calcualte V_c ?

/Bob

Hm. I think it's impossible. Imagine the P-V plot. You have two points D and A, as you told. There are no restrictions on where adiabata B-C intersects isothermas.

Last edited:
Sorry scratch that:

I have discovered that [tex]V_C = 24[/tex] is avalible in the text.

Sorry I missed that cause I'm suffering from terrible hayfever today.

I'm Sorry :-)

/Bob

1. What is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work and vice versa. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

2. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no exchange of heat between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is thermally isolated and there is no change in its internal energy due to heat transfer. Adiabatic processes can occur in both closed and open systems.

3. What is the significance of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is significant because it represents the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine operating between two given temperature levels. It serves as a benchmark for evaluating the performance of real heat engines and provides insights into the limitations of practical thermodynamic processes.

4. How is the efficiency of a Carnot Cycle calculated?

The efficiency of a Carnot Cycle is calculated using the equation: efficiency = (T1 - T2) / T1, where T1 is the temperature at which heat is absorbed and T2 is the temperature at which heat is rejected. This means that the efficiency of a Carnot Cycle increases as the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink increases.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical model, but it has practical applications in various industries. It is used to improve the efficiency of refrigerators and heat pumps, as well as in power plants to optimize the use of fuel and reduce emissions. The principles of the Carnot Cycle also play a role in the development of new technologies, such as thermoelectric generators and fuel cells.