1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot Cycle Question

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gas is to be expanded from initial stage i to final stage f along either path 1 or path 2 on a p-V diagram. Path 1 consists of three steps: an isothermal expansion(work is 23J in magnitude), an adiabatic expansion(work is 35J in magnitude), and another isothermal expansion (work is 16J in magnitude). Path 2 consists of two steps: a pressure reduction at constant volume and an expansion at constant pressure. What is the change in the internal energy of the gas along path 2?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔE=Q-W

W=nRTln(Vf/Vi)
    W=∫PdV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I added up the values from path 1 to be the work done, assuming that like a hess cycle the work done is same regardless of the path taken. I don't know how to get a value of Q as I don't know which equations out there work with isochoric and isobaric conditions.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2
    I found equations for isobaric and isochoric conditions. Q=nCpΔT and Q=nCvΔT. I still don't know how to solve it as none of the values for Cv and Cp are provided.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted