1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot cycle use

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    I saw a problem for which I don't really understand the idea of the solution. This is what it says:
    The vaporization latent heat for water (at 100 deg C) under normal pressure (101325 pa) is 2,3*10^6. What is the saturated vapor pressure for water at 105 deg C?
    And the solution says that we have to consider a Carnot cycle in which the isotherms are at 100 deg C and 105 deg C, and the adiabats transform the water from water to vapor and vice-versa. And so ,expressing the efficency for the Carnot cyle as W/Q=1-T1/T2, where T1=100 deg C and T2=105 deg C , and saying that Q=(Mass of vapour)* ( latent heat of vaporization) and W=(delta)p*(delta)V, where (delta) V is the volume of the vapour and approximately equat to (m*R*T2)/(molar mass of water) form the ideal gas law , we can obtain (delta)p ,and then the final pressure P final= (delta)p + p, where p is the normal atmospheric pressure.

I am not stuck with the calcultion of this problem. I just don't understant why do we have to think of a Carnot cycle in a situation like this. When do we have to look at a system like at a Carnot cycle?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2
    Someone figured out that, for this particular kind of problem, the Carnot cycle could be used as a "vehicle" for determining the effect of temperature on the equilibrium vapor pressure of a material. It is really a cute idea. This is not the way that the effect of temperature on equilibrium vapor pressure is usually determined in Thermo courses (i.e., the so-called Clausius Clapeyron equation).

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook