Calculating Work in Isothermal Processes of Carnot Cycle

In summary: That is, it shows that the product of entropy change and temperature change is a function of state, so that the entropy change is a function of state. The fact that this function of state has the expression \frac{Q}{T} is a consequence of the Second Law.[The last paragraph is my impression of what is going on. I am not an expert in this area. Corrections are welcome.]In summary, the conversation discussed the Carnot Cycle and calculating work done in isothermal processes. The equations for isothermal work were given and it was explained how to calculate work in adiabatic processes. The question of why the ratio of volumes in isothermal processes is equal to the ratio in adiabatic processes was also
Abigale
Hallo,

I read about thr Carnot-Cycle and got a problem.

A->B: isothermal
B->C: adiabatic
C->D: isothermal
D->A: adiabatic

I want to understand how to calculate the work done in the isothermal processes.
I have read:

[itex]
W_{AB}= T_{H}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}})}\\

W_{CD}= -T_{n}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}})}
[/itex]

But if i callculate i get:
[itex]
W_{CD}= -T_{n}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{D}}{V_{C}})}
[/itex]

So the question is, why is:
[itex]
(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}}) = (\frac{V_{D}}{V_{C}})
[/itex] ?

Thx
Abbigale :wink:

Science news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
Hallo,

I read about thr Carnot-Cycle and got a problem.

A->B: isothermal
B->C: adiabatic
C->D: isothermal
D->A: adiabatic

I want to understand how to calculate the work done in the isothermal processes.
I have read:

[itex]
W_{AB}= T_{H}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}})}\\

W_{CD}= -T_{n}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}})}
[/itex]

But if i callculate i get:
[itex]
W_{CD}= -T_{n}Nk\ln{(\frac{V_{D}}{V_{C}})}
[/itex]

So the question is, why is:
[itex]
(\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}}) = (\frac{V_{D}}{V_{C}})
[/itex] ?
Abigale,

From the first law we know that ΔU + W = Q where W is the work done BY the gas. But since ΔU = 0 in one complete cycle, W = Q = heat flow in from hot register - heat flow out to cold register = |Qh| - |Qc|. Heat flow occurs only from A-B and C-D, so the difference in these heat flows is the work done for the entire cycle. That means the work done in the adiabatic parts nets out to 0.

The efficiency is:

[tex]\eta = 1 - \frac{|Q_c|}{|Q_h|} = 1 - \frac{T_cNk\ln\left(\frac{V_D}{V_C}\right)}{T_hNk\ln\left(\frac{V_A}{V_B}\right)}[/tex]

But we also know that for a Carnot cycle:

ΔS = Qh/Th + Qc/Th = 0 so |Qc/Qh| = Tc/Th

This necessarily means that [itex](\frac{V_{A}}{V_{\text{B}}}) = (\frac{V_{D}}{V_{C}})
[/itex]

AM

Hey,
but is it possible to schow the Relation, just by looking at the pv-diagram?

Abigale said:
Hey,
but is it possible to show the Relation, just by looking at the pv-diagram?
Yes, if the PV graph showed the scale.

AM

The equations you give for isothermal work are for an ideal gas.

Since we're dealing with an ideal gas we can use the adiabatic equations for an ideal gas, for BC and DA.

So [itex]p_B V_B^{\gamma} = p_C V_C^{\gamma}[/itex]

and [itex]p_A V_A^{\gamma} = p_D V_D^{\gamma} [/itex]

dividing: [itex] \frac{p_B}{p_A} \frac{V_B^{\gamma}}{V_A^{\gamma}} = \frac{p_C}{p_D} \frac{V_C^{\gamma}} {V_D^{\gamma}}[/itex]

But for the isothermals: [itex]\frac{p_B}{p_A} = \frac{V_A}{V_B}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{p_C}{p_D} = \frac{V_D}{V_C}.[/itex]

We can now eliminate the pressure ratios from the previous equation, giving...

[itex] \frac{V_B^{\gamma - 1}}{V_A^{\gamma - 1}} = \frac{V_C^{\gamma - 1}} {V_D^{\gamma - 1}}[/itex]

So [itex] \frac{V_B}{V_A} = \frac{V_C} {V_D}[/itex]

Philip Wood said:
The equations you give for isothermal work are for an ideal gas.

Since we're dealing with an ideal gas we can use the adiabatic equations for an ideal gas, for BC and DA.

So [itex]p_B V_B^{\gamma} = p_C V_C^{\gamma}[/itex]

and [itex]p_A V_A^{\gamma} = p_D V_D^{\gamma} [/itex]

dividing: [itex] \frac{p_B}{p_A} \frac{V_B^{\gamma}}{V_A^{\gamma}} = \frac{p_C}{p_D} \frac{V_C^{\gamma}} {V_D^{\gamma}}[/itex]

But for the isothermals: [itex]\frac{p_B}{p_A} = \frac{V_A}{V_B}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{p_C}{p_D} = \frac{V_D}{V_C}.[/itex]

We can now eliminate the pressure ratios from the previous equation, giving...

[itex] \frac{V_B^{\gamma - 1}}{V_A^{\gamma - 1}} = \frac{V_C^{\gamma - 1}} {V_D^{\gamma - 1}}[/itex]

So [itex] \frac{V_B}{V_A} = \frac{V_C} {V_D}[/itex]
It might be easier to use the adiabatic condition in terms of temperature and volume:

[itex]TV^{\gamma - 1} = K[/itex] from which it is apparent that adiabatic paths between the same two temperatures result in the same proportional changes in volume.

AM

Much neater – if you can remember TVγ-1 = K. [Though, I suppose TVanything = K would suffice!]

We've got to be careful of the logic here. OP's argument leads to [itex]\left| \frac{Q_{AB}}{Q_{CD}} \right| = \frac{T_{AB}}{T_{CD}}[/itex]. The temperatures which appear in this equation are (in my interpretation of the above argument) ideal gas scale temperatures, effectively defined by pV = nRT. But the Second Law leads to a definition of thermodynamic temperature based on Carnot cycles for any working substance (not just an ideal gas) that is essentially [itex]\frac{T_{AB}}{T_{CD}} = \left| \frac{Q_{AB}}{Q_{CD}} \right| [/itex]. Hence the OP's argument shows the equivalence of the thermodynamic scale and the ideal gas scale.

Last edited:

What is the Carnot Cycle and how does it relate to calculating work in isothermal processes?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of four stages: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. The work done in the isothermal stages can be calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula.

What is an isothermal process?

An isothermal process is a thermodynamic process that takes place at a constant temperature. This means that the internal energy of the system does not change during the process, and therefore the work done can be directly calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

How do you calculate work in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle?

The work done in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle can be calculated using the equation W = nRT ln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively.

What factors affect the work done in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle?

The work done in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle is affected by the temperature and the number of moles of gas. As the temperature increases, the work done also increases. However, the work done decreases as the number of moles of gas decreases.

Can the work done in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle ever be negative?

No, the work done in an isothermal process of a Carnot Cycle can never be negative. This is because the process always takes place at a constant temperature, and therefore the internal energy of the system does not change. Without a change in internal energy, there is no energy available to be converted into work.