What is the true statement about Carnot engine efficiency?

In summary, the correct statement about a Carnot engine is that if a process is reversible, the efficiency of the engine is maximum. This is because all processes must be reversible in order to obtain maximum efficiency, and irreversible energies do not have the greatest possible efficiency. The statement that all energies are reversible is also incorrect.
newyork

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements about a Carnot engine is true?
a) Any Carnot engine has an efficiency of 100%
b) Irreversible energies have the greatest possible efficiency.
c) Heat can spontaneously flow from a cold reservoir to a hotter reservoir.
d) If a process is reversible, the efficiency of an engine is maximum.
e) All energies are reversible.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I think the answer is E. I canceled out choice b because no where in my textbook did it mention irreversible energies having high efficiency. I don't think it's choice a because the third law of thermodynamics says reaching a temperature of absolute zero is impossible and makes it impossible for a Carnot cycle engine to achieve 100% efficiency. So if I'm right, why is E right? If I'm wrong, then why would it be one of the other choices? I pretty much just used process of elimination.

Physics news on Phys.org
i suggest you to check much better the differences beetween rev and irrev process.
regards

Marco_84 said:
i suggest you to check much better the differences beetween rev and irrev process.
regards

i've got a better idea. research what a carnot engine is. it's a lot faster than checking the differences between rev and irrev processes. it will actually help you solve the question

i think the answer is that all engines are reversible. the one that states that "if a process is reversible, the efficiency of an engine is maximum" wouldn't be accurate because ALL processes have to be reversible to obtain maximum efficiency, not just one.

I would say d is the correct answer here, a is completely false due to the second law of thermodynamcs(never can all heat be converted into pure work),b is obviously not true, c would not have a positive entropy change andhence does not occur spontaneously, e doesn't make sense...hence my choice d, however the statements are rather ambiguous

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, a reversible thermodynamic cycle. It is often used as a benchmark for the maximum possible efficiency of any heat engine.

2. How is the efficiency of a Carnot engine calculated?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is calculated by dividing the difference between the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs by the temperature of the hot reservoir. This is known as the Carnot efficiency and is expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is affected by the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs, as well as the type of working fluid used. The higher the temperature difference between the reservoirs, the higher the efficiency of the engine.

4. Can the efficiency of a Carnot engine be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a Carnot engine is limited by the laws of thermodynamics and cannot exceed 100%. This means that all of the input energy must be accounted for and none can be lost during the conversion process.

5. How does the efficiency of a Carnot engine compare to other types of engines?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is typically higher than other types of engines, such as steam engines or internal combustion engines. This is because it operates on a theoretical cycle and does not experience any losses due to friction or other inefficiencies.