1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot Engine Question

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Carnot heat engine absorbs heat form a high-temp reservoir at 1200K and concerts some of it into useful work and rejects the rest to a low-temp reservoir at 400K. A) What is the efficiency of the engine? b) If the engine absorbs 2400J per cycle from the high-temp reservoir at 1200K, what is the amount of work done, and how much heat is rejected to the low-temp reservoir at 400K?

2. Relevant equations

A) e = (T2-T1)/T2
    ΔU=Q-W

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, I got (1200-400)/1200= 0.6666...

For part b, my logic is that Total energy = work + heat rejected, based on ΔU formula above.
    Therefore, work done should be 2400J*0.66 = 1600 J and heat rejected should be the rest, aka 2400*0.33 = 800J.

These answers seems to easy, especially for part b. Am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2
    Everything is fine, nothing to worry.....
    Regards

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done. Sometimes physics is easy - with that reasoning it sounds like you have understood the material.

5. Oct 7, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted