Carnot engine working in reverse poblem-

In summary: I am confused, can you please clarify what the question is?In summary, a heat pump delivers 7.54MJ as heat to the building each hour. If the heat pump is Carnot engine working in reverse, at what rate must work be done to run it?
LandOfStandar

Homework Statement

A heat pump is used to heat a building. The outside temp is -5.0 Celsius and the temp inside the building is to be maintained at 22 Celsius. The pump's coefficient of performance is 3.8, and the heat pump delivers 7.54MJ as heat to the building each hour. If the heat pump is Carnot engine working in reverse, at what rate must work be done to run it?

Homework Equations

Kc = QL /(QH - QL) = TL/(TH-TH)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost, help, Am I using the right equation, what do I do first.

I have tried this many times and I just need help understanding what I am looking for and how to start to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
LandOfStandar said:

Homework Statement

A heat pump is used to heat a building. The outside temp is -5.0 Celsius and the temp inside the building is to be maintained at 22 Celsius. The pump's coefficient of performance is 3.8, and the heat pump delivers 7.54MJ as heat to the building each hour. If the heat pump is Carnot engine working in reverse, at what rate must work be done to run it?

Homework Equations

Kc = QL /(QH - QL) = TL/(TH-TH)
Your definition of Kc (COP) is incorrect. What is the definition of COP for a heat pump in terms of heat out, work in?

For a Carnot cycle, how is that efficiency related to temperature?

AM

k =Qin/W = Qin/(Qin - Qout) = Tin/(Tin - Tout)

the other one was from my text

anyone

LandOfStandar said:
k =Qin/W = Qin/(Qin - Qout) = Tin/(Tin - Tout)

the other one was from my text
So how is the overall COP related to the COPs of each part?

[tex]\kappa_{total} = Q_{total}/W_{total} = (Q_{h1} + Q_{h2})/(W_1 + W_2)[/tex]

Now we know W1:

[tex]W_1 = Q_{h1}/\kappa_1 [/tex]

We also know W2:

[tex]W_2 = Q_{h2}/\kappa_2 [/tex]

We know [itex]\kappa_1[/itex] and [itex]\kappa_2[/itex]: eg:

[tex]\kappa_1 = T_1/(T_1-T_2)[/tex]Work out the expression [itex]\kappa_{total}[/itex] in terms of these known variables.

AM

Last edited:
I did not have those formulas

I wish I could find these in my textbook Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick

ok, thank you

[tex]
\kappa_1[/tex] is that the pump's coefficient of performance

with one being the given 3.8 and finding the other as 9.926

are one of the Q 7.54x10^6J what is the other, or is that Q total?

k total = 3.8 + 9.9 = 13.7

Q total = 7.54x10^6J

what am I trying to get?

rate must work be done
W net / 3600sec (one hour) to get Watts or power

Last edited:
Please someone help I need to understand this the exam is coming up and I need an understand of this

LandOfStandar said:
[tex]
\kappa_1[/tex] is that the pump's coefficient of performance

with one being the given 3.8 and finding the other as 9.926

are one of the Q 7.54x10^6J what is the other, or is that Q total?

k total = 3.8 + 9.9 = 13.7

Q total = 7.54x10^6J

what am I trying to get?

rate must work be done
W net / 3600sec (one hour) to get Watts or power
I confused you on my last answer. I was thinking of the other problem you had posted on the efficiency of two Carnot engines. Sorry about that. Just ignore my last answer.

You are trying to get the amount of work done (per unit time).

You have correctly stated the relationship between COP and temperature:

COP = Qh/W = Th/(Th-Tc)

You are given Qh (actually dQh/dt) = 7.54MJ (per hour)

You are given Th and Tc. You just need to determine W (per hour).

AM

what is the coefficient of performance is 3.8

LandOfStandar said:
what is the coefficient of performance is 3.8
The question is not clear. If it is a Carnot heat pump, the COP is:

[tex]COP = Q_h/W = Q_h/(Q_h - Q_c) = T_h/(T_h - T_c)[/tex]

For these temperatures, the COP is 10.9

However, the question says that the COP is 3.8. So it is not a Carnot heat pump. Work out the rate of work for both COPs and tell your prof that the question is not clear which one you are supposed to use.

AM

the answer is 440Watt and I can not get it either way

LandOfStandar said:
the answer is 440Watt and I can not get it either way
440 watts is not correct. 440 watts = 440 x 3600 = 1,584,000 Joules/hour. At a COP of 3.8, this means it is pumping 6,019,000 Joules of heat per hour. At a COP of 10.9 (295/27), it would pump 30.1 MJ per hour.

AM

1. How does a Carnot engine work in reverse?

The Carnot engine works in reverse by taking in heat from a cold reservoir and converting it into mechanical work, while releasing heat to a hot reservoir. This process is known as the Carnot cycle and follows the same principles as a regular Carnot engine, but in the opposite direction.

2. What is the purpose of a Carnot engine working in reverse?

The purpose of a Carnot engine working in reverse is to illustrate the theoretical maximum efficiency of a heat engine. It helps to understand the limitations of real-world engines and serves as a model for the development of more efficient engines.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a Carnot engine working in reverse?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine working in reverse is affected by the temperature of the hot and cold reservoirs, as well as the materials and design of the engine. The higher the temperature difference between the reservoirs, the higher the efficiency of the engine.

4. Can a Carnot engine working in reverse violate the second law of thermodynamics?

No, a Carnot engine working in reverse still follows the laws of thermodynamics. The second law states that heat cannot spontaneously transfer from a colder body to a hotter body, so the engine must do work to reverse this process.

5. How does the efficiency of a Carnot engine working in reverse compare to other types of engines?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine working in reverse is always higher than that of any other heat engine operating between the same two temperatures. This is because it operates on a theoretical maximum efficiency based on the Carnot cycle, which cannot be surpassed by any real-world engine.