1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot heat engine

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A heat pump takes heat from a hot resevoir and disipates heat to a cold one. Both resevoirs are equal mass and specific heat capacity. Show that as the heat engine does maximal work the final temp of the resevoirs = Tf = SQRT(TcTh)

2. Relevant equations
    Qin = Wout + Qout
    mc(Th-Tf) = Wout + mc(Tf -Tc)

Efficiency = Wout/Win = 1- (Qin/Qout)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know i somehow need to get TcTh^2 in order to get the solution so I used efficiecy as 1 for maximal work out but I also assumed no work in which means I'm dividing by 0! Or if I say 1= 1-Qin/Qout then Qout = 1-Qin and now im just confused. Help please :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

hotvette

Homework Helper

Remember from calculus how to find the maximum (or minimim) of a function?

4. Mar 20, 2010 #3
    Are you meaning differentiate and set to 0 and then solve? Differentiate again and is D^2f(x)/Dx^2 < 0 then it's a maximum?

5. Mar 20, 2010 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Yep, but you should only have to differentiate once. It should be pretty clear whether you have a max or min.

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    Thank you, Which equation do I differentiate?

7. Mar 20, 2010 #6
    Ooo right ok so I have dw/dQ_h = (T1-T2)/T1 = 0

therefore T1-T2 = 0 so T1=T2=T and so

dw/dQ_h = (T-T)/T which is 0 which doesnt help me :S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook