Calculate Magnitude of Work from 0.22 Lawnmower Engine in 1 Second

• Thread starter bulbasaur88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary: MENDED ANSWER: In summary, the lawnmower engine with an efficiency of 0.22 rejects 9900 J of heat every second. The magnitude of the work that the engine does in one second is approximately 2792.31 J/s, which is calculated using the formula W = e(Qc/(1-e)). However, it is important to express the answer in the correct number of significant figures and units, which in this case would be 2800 J/s. Additionally, simplifying the answer algebraically before plugging in the numbers is recommended.
bulbasaur88
A lawnmower engine with an efficiency of 0.22 rejects 9900 J of heat every second. What is the magnitude of the work that the engine does in one second?

e = 0.22
Qc = 9900 J/s

e = W/Qh
Qh = Qc + W

e = W / Qc + W
0.22 = W / 9900 + W
0.22(9900 + W) = W
2178 + 0.22W = W
W = 2792.31 J/s?

I checked my answer on cramster.com but they have something different, but I believe my answer to be right. Can anybody verify if I am doing this correctly or not? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
bulbasaur88 said:
A lawnmower engine with an efficiency of 0.22 rejects 9900 J of heat every second. What is the magnitude of the work that the engine does in one second?

e = 0.22
Qc = 9900 J/s

e = W/Qh
Qh = Qc + W

e = W / Qc + W
0.22 = W / 9900 + W
0.22(9900 + W) = W
2178 + 0.22W = W
W = 2792.31 J/s?

I checked my answer on cramster.com but they have something different, but I believe my answer to be right. Can anybody verify if I am doing this correctly or not? Thank you.
Your answer should be expressed in the correct number of significant figures. You may want to simplify your answer algebraically before plugging in the numbers:

Qh = Qc/(1-e)

W = eQh = e(Qc/(1-e))

Also, you have to put your answer for W in the correct units. J/s is a unit of power.

AM

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of work?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of work from a lawnmower engine?

To calculate the magnitude of work from a lawnmower engine, you will need to know the force produced by the engine and the distance it travels in a given time. Use the equation W = F x d to calculate the magnitude of work.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J).

4. Can I calculate the magnitude of work from a lawnmower engine in any unit of time?

Yes, you can calculate the magnitude of work from a lawnmower engine in any unit of time. Just make sure to convert the time to seconds if it is given in a different unit.

5. Is the calculated magnitude of work from a lawnmower engine a measurement of power?

No, the calculated magnitude of work is not a measurement of power. Power is the rate at which work is done, while work is a measurement of the total energy used to accomplish a task.