1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carousel Physics Homework

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a designer finds through research of accident reports at a hospital that children
    under 5 can usually survive a fall of 1 m without serious injury, what is the
    maximum safe turning speed for a carousel to be used by children of this age?

2. Relevant equations
    No Idea

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Alcape! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I'm as confused as you are :redface:

most of the question seems to be missing.

The carousel can be dangerous either because the centripetal acceleration is too much for the brain, or because the child might fall off and hit something.

But, for both, you need to know the radius (and you don't). :confused:

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks For that tiny-tim I thought their may have been a formula I didn't know of. I appreciate your prompt reply. Thanks again.

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    Thanks for replying I now have an answer If you use the formula v = √(2gs)
    where v is the velocity g is the acceleration due to gravity and s is the distance fallen then it comes out to be 4.429m/s...

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Alcape! :smile:
    Yes, that's a possible answer …

but I suspect when the question says "turning speed", it means angular speed (for which you'd need to know the radius). :redface:

(and if that is the right answer, why is the question so complicated … why is it about a carousel? :confused:)

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    I don't know why it's so complicated I didn't make it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook