Wireless Power Transfer: Magnetic Flux?

In summary, EM waves have two components, electric field and magnetic field. They are perpendicular to each other.
Navin A S
If a conductor carrying current has magnetic flux around it,why not a carrier wave that carries current in case of wireless power transfer has a magnetic flux around it?

Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
A carrier wave in free space or air does not carry current.

Navin A S said:
If a conductor carrying current has magnetic flux around it,why not a carrier wave that carries current in case of wireless power transfer has a magnetic flux around it?

you statement suggests that you don't really know the meaning of the term Carrier Wave

A carrier wave is usually used in the context of an electromagnetic wave ( radio or light) that is unmodulated

eg.
When I push the transmit button on my transceiver radio in my ham radio shack it puts out a carrier wave on the frequency that I choose
when I start to talk, then that carrier wave is modulated and my audio is "carried" on that signal to any receivers listening on that frequency

There are many different types of modulation system that are used for audio systems, video or data and also depends on if it is an analog or digital system. These hilited types will take you to wiki descriptions of them

Analog modulation
Digital modulation
Spread spectrum
See also
cheers
Dave

Thanks for your reply friends!

1.What does an electromagnetic wave actually composed of?

Power can usually of three types right?...
*Real Power(P)
*Reactive power(Q)
*Apparent power(S)
The real power is the one which is the actual power that is in usage.
The reactive power is the one that is not actually used i.e. a type of waste.
The apparent power is the total power that is generated.
If this is so,why can't the reactive power be recycled to get real power?

Navin A S said:
1.What does an electromagnetic wave actually composed of?

Let me answer that after you answer the following question:
What do you think a wave in water is composed of?

Likes davenn
GhostLoveScore said:
@ Navin A S EM Wave has two components, electric field and magnetic field. They are perpendicular to one another.

@GhostLoveScore please DONT attempt to answer questions where an OP has been specifically asked a question

we are trying to get the OP to do a little thinking and learning ... NOT have some one hand him the answer on a plate !Dave

1. How does wireless power transfer using magnetic flux work?

Wireless power transfer using magnetic flux, also known as inductive charging, works by creating an alternating magnetic field between two coils, one in the transmitter and one in the receiver. This magnetic field induces an electrical current in the receiver coil, which can then be used to power a device.

2. Is wireless power transfer using magnetic flux safe?

Yes, wireless power transfer using magnetic flux is considered safe. The magnetic fields used in this technology are low frequency and non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to cause harm to human health. However, it is important to follow safety guidelines and use approved devices for wireless charging.

3. What are the advantages of wireless power transfer using magnetic flux?

One of the main advantages of wireless power transfer using magnetic flux is convenience. It eliminates the need for cords and cables, allowing for a more clutter-free and convenient charging experience. It also reduces wear and tear on charging ports and cables, potentially extending the lifespan of devices.

4. What are the limitations of wireless power transfer using magnetic flux?

One limitation of wireless power transfer using magnetic flux is its limited range. The distance between the transmitter and receiver coils typically needs to be within a few centimeters for efficient charging. Additionally, the efficiency of the transfer decreases with greater distance between the coils.

5. How does wireless power transfer using magnetic flux compare to other wireless charging technologies?

Wireless power transfer using magnetic flux is one of the most commonly used wireless charging technologies. It is relatively simple and inexpensive to implement, making it a popular choice for consumer devices. However, other technologies such as radio frequency and laser-based charging may offer longer range and faster charging speeds, but at a higher cost and complexity.