What happens to a gyroscope when carried upstairs?

• Thread starter areid10990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a gyroscope inside a briefcase when climbing stairs. It is determined that the angular velocity of the gyroscope will remain pointing forward, but no torque will oppose the turning of the briefcase due to the gyroscope being mounted on gimbals. It is also noted that there is no force feedback between the gyroscope and the briefcase, and that nothing would happen in this scenario. The conversation then turns to the possibility of simulating this behavior and the conclusion is reached that nothing happens when climbing stairs with a gyroscope in a briefcase.
areid10990
1. I am carrying a briefcase in which sits a gyroscope whose large angular velocity points forward horizontally. When I try to climb stairs, what happens to the briefcase?

2. 0=[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\vec{}L[/tex]

3. My intuition says that the briefcase would point downward, but I really don't know how to approach this problem. It doesn't seem to me that climbing up stairs would alter the angular momentum in the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your intuition is correct! It is like carrying a gyrocompass in an airplane. As the plane goes up, the gyrocompass doesn't change the plane's orientation.

If you turn the briefcase, the wheel of the gyroscope will not turn with it. The angular velocity will remain pointing forward, but no torque will oppose the turning of the briefcase because "gyroscope" means the wheel is mounted on gimbals and the case is free to turn relative to the wheel.

If you try to turn a flywheel not mounted on gimbals, you will experience that counter intuitive torque in an unexpected direction. Try it with an angle grinder at high speed.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

Thanks for your reply. It seems reasonable to me that there is no real force feedback between the gyroscope and the briefcase, so nothing would happen, but the way the question is phrased in the book suggests that something does happen. The question before it asks what would happen if you tried to turn left with the briefcase

I would head straight for the lab and ask to play with a gyroscope.
Hopefully they have a nice battery powered one - the string-pull ones are a pain, but you can find them for a reasonable price at a toy store.

Haha yeah, I was looking around for something to simulate it but alas I have no such resource at my disposal before this is due. Thanks for your help, I'm sure it will come to me soon

Ended up figuring it out. Nothing happens. I realized that walking up the stairs puts one (approximately) in an inertial reference frame. Surely the stairs moving behind me could not affect the motion of my briefcase.

1. How does carrying a gyroscope upstairs affect its motion?

Carrying a gyroscope upstairs will not affect its motion as long as it is kept in a stable and upright position. The gyroscope's spinning rotor will maintain its angular momentum and resist any external forces, including the movement of going up stairs.

2. Will carrying a gyroscope upstairs cause it to precess?

No, carrying a gyroscope upstairs will not cause it to precess. Precession occurs when a gyroscope experiences a torque that is not aligned with its axis of rotation. As long as the gyroscope is kept in an upright position, it will not experience any torque and therefore will not precess.

3. Is it dangerous to carry a gyroscope upstairs?

Carrying a gyroscope upstairs is not dangerous as long as it is done carefully and the gyroscope is kept in an upright position. However, if the gyroscope is not properly balanced or is dropped, it can cause injury or damage to the person carrying it or to the surrounding environment.

4. Can carrying a gyroscope upstairs affect its accuracy?

No, carrying a gyroscope upstairs will not affect its accuracy. The gyroscope's accuracy is determined by its design and construction, and as long as it is kept in a stable and upright position, it will not be affected by the act of going up stairs.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when carrying a gyroscope upstairs?

Yes, it is important to hold the gyroscope securely and keep it in an upright position while going up stairs. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, in case the gyroscope is dropped or becomes unbalanced. Additionally, make sure the stairs are clear of any obstacles or tripping hazards.