Car's Center Gravity of Height

In summary: at the track i measured 20 cars and found that the mass centroid was within 1/2 inch of the line drawn between the camshaft and the rear axle
Vipcanabis
Hi, I am calculating about Drive Brake system. Now I am stuck at Hg (I mean car's center gravity of height), I just don't know how to calculate it.
Will anybody help me ? I am really need it
I look forward to your reply
Best Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
if the shape of the car is simple like a double box car or box type sedan then simply divide the car in three sections of front , middle and rear, choose an origin. Further it is a basic problem

see old post Jul22-09, 11:03 AM

Race car suspension Class

Vipcanabis said:
I just don't know how to calculate it.

What don't you know? Measuring the CG height on an actual vehicle or estimating the CG height of your concept car from drawings or maybe even something else.

Ok, here I got :
Height x Width x Length = 2740 x 2060 x 7080 (mm) = 107,874 x 81,1 x 278,74 (Inch)
wheelbase = 4085 (mm) = 160,83 (Inch)
Car weight (no load) = 4160 (Kg) = 9152 (lbs)
Front Axle weight = 2130 (Kg) = 4686 (lbs)
Rear Axle weight = 2030 (Kg) = 4466 (lbs)

So, can you help me calculate the Car center of gravity of height (y-axis). I am thanks so much !
Thanks for interesting and helping me

Vipcanabis said:
Ok, here I got :
Height x Width x Length = 2740 x 2060 x 7080 (mm) = 107,874 x 81,1 x 278,74 (Inch)
wheelbase = 4085 (mm) = 160,83 (Inch)
Car weight (no load) = 4160 (Kg) = 9152 (lbs)
Front Axle weight = 2130 (Kg) = 4686 (lbs)
Rear Axle weight = 2030 (Kg) = 4466 (lbs)

So, can you help me calculate the Car center of gravity of height (y-axis). I am thanks so much !
Thanks for interesting and helping me

With these numbers, it's impossible to determine exactly. Best guess would be somewhere between one third and one half of the height of your car (which seems really tall!).

So, what do I need to determine exactly the CG height ? Please help, just a little more. I got the most specification of the car

Get the all aggregate weights.Locate their indiviusal CGs in the car. Then you can easily calulate the CG position by simple CG formula x=(m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) similarly y and z.
Hope it will help you.

i recommend the old racers trick of measuring the height from pavement to center of the camshaft and measure height from pavement to center of rear axle hub
draw a line from camshaft center to rear axle center line ( between the two axles) this is good approximation of mass centroid going thru the vehicle ..the other method is to use scales under the rear wheels and jack up the from end at least 30 inches ..this requires scales and if you have access, i can give you formula..i wrote more in other posts. last year

What is the center of gravity of a car?

The center of gravity of a car is the point at which the entire weight of the car can be considered to act upon. It is the point where the car would balance if it were suspended at that point.

Why is the center of gravity of a car important?

The center of gravity is important because it affects the stability and handling of a car. A lower center of gravity makes a car more stable, while a higher center of gravity can make a car more prone to tipping over.

How is the center of gravity of a car calculated?

The center of gravity of a car can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the car's individual components, taking into account their mass and distance from the ground.

How does the size and shape of a car affect its center of gravity?

The size and shape of a car can greatly affect its center of gravity. A taller and wider car will generally have a higher center of gravity, while a shorter and narrower car will have a lower center of gravity.

Can the center of gravity of a car be changed?

Yes, the center of gravity of a car can be changed by altering the distribution of weight within the car. Modifications such as lowering the suspension or moving heavy components lower to the ground can lower the center of gravity and improve the car's handling.