1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cars & Corrosion

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    Here's some questions I need help with...
    Its about Cars & Corrosion

1. Name six ways that corrosion was tested on cars.
    2. State two reasons that corrosion is not benificial.
    3. How does ventilation stop corrosion?
    4. In what way does mud contribute to corrosion?
    5. What are the two metals in:
    a) the gas (petrol) cap
    b) light fixture
    6) List five protective measures taken by Austin rover to protect against corrosion.
    And I got the other questions. So if u could even ehlp me with just one..that'd b such a help.thanks so much:wink:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work, or what you have discovered so far.

Corrosion generally involves a metal and an electrolyte, most often water. In parts of the country, salt is put the roads during winter to help melt the ice and snow, but this then leads to salt water corrosion of vehicles using the roads.

Around coastlines, salt from the ocean is also a problem.

Cars use several different alloys, but steels are/have been common.

Mud simply provides for collection of moisture (moisture retention) and contaminants like salt.

Ventilation permits a 'dry' environment, i.e. no electrolyte, which will slow, stop (or otherwise retard) the corrosion process.

Browse at www.sae.org and www.nace.org for corrosion topics, or google on "automobile","corrosion".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?