Solving Cart-Cart Collision: Velocities & Momentum

• Thread starter r34racer01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, after a cart with a mass of 140 kg collides with a stationary cart with a mass of 300 kg, it rebounds with a speed of 7 m/s in the opposite direction. An observer moving in the same direction as the incoming cart at a speed of 10 m/s can calculate the velocities with respect to them: a) v1i,ob = 14 m/s, b) v2i,ob = 10 m/s, c) v1f,ob = -7 m/s, d) v2f,ob = 0 m/s. The total momentum of the system before the collision is 40320 kg*m/s and after the collision is 14460 kg*m/s
r34racer01
showmepl-1.gif

A cart (m1 = 140 kg) is moving to the right along a track at v1i = 24 m/s when it hits a stationary cart (m2 = 300 kg) and rebounds with a speed of v1f = 7 m/s in the opposite direction.

a) With what speed does the 300 kg cart move after the collision?

An observer moves in the same direction as the incoming cart with a speed of 10 m/s.

Using the convention that the positive direction is to the right, what are the following velocities with respect to this observer:
b) v1i,ob =
c) v2i,ob =
d) v1f,ob =
e) v2f,ob =

f) What is the total momentum of the system before the collision as seen by this moving observer?

g) What is the total momentum of the system after the collision as seen by this same observer?

So I thought that I could use 1/2mv^2 to get the momentum of cart 1 before impact, and I got 1/2(140)(24^2)= 40320. And then use 40320=300(v) to solve for be, but that didn't work. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
r34racer01 said:
So I thought that I could use 1/2mv^2 to get the momentum of cart 1 before impact, and I got 1/2(140)(24^2)= 40320. And then use 40320=300(v) to solve for be, but that didn't work. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing?

The 140kg cart is moving also after the collision.

cristo said:
The 140kg cart is moving also after the collision.

Yes its moving 7m/s after the collision, but I don't get how I can use that to get the 300kg's speed after collision.

Never mind I realized we just nee to use conservation of momentum, so you just do (24*140)-(-7*140)/300 = 14.46 = V2f. And I was able to solve for everything else so thanks.

1. How do I calculate the final velocities of two carts after a collision?

To calculate the final velocities of two carts after a collision, you will need to use the conservation of momentum equation. This equation states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. You will also need to consider the masses and initial velocities of the two carts.

2. Can I use the same equation for inelastic and elastic collisions?

No, the conservation of momentum equation is only valid for elastic collisions. In inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or heat, so the final velocities cannot be calculated using this equation alone. In these cases, you will need to consider the coefficient of restitution and use the equations for inelastic collisions.

3. How do I determine the direction of the final velocities after a collision?

The conservation of momentum equation only calculates the magnitudes of the final velocities. To determine the direction, you will need to use the law of conservation of energy. This law states that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. By solving for the direction of the final velocities in this equation, you can determine their direction.

4. What is the difference between velocity and momentum?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while momentum is a vector quantity only when considering its direction. In the context of cart-cart collisions, velocity refers to the speed and direction of the carts before and after the collision, while momentum refers to the mass and velocity of the carts.

5. How do I know if a collision is elastic or inelastic?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning the objects bounce off each other without losing any energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted to other forms, such as deformation or heat. To determine the type of collision, you can calculate the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the objects' elasticity. If the coefficient of restitution is 1, the collision is elastic. If it is less than 1, the collision is inelastic.