1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cart with Friction

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    A 10 kg cart is pulled by a force of 12 newtons for a distance of 7 meters, then by a force of 4 Newtons for 2 meters, then it is pushed (slowed down) by a force of 3 Newton for 1 meters. All this occurs on a horizontal surface.

A)Initially assuming the surface to be frictionless, what net work is done on the cart as it moved the 10 meters?
    Work total?
    i know work total = (.5mvfinall^2)-(.5mvinitial^2) I don't know what to plug in for velocity..im stuck here...cause i got to go to work...help please.

B)If the cart starts from rest, what is its speed after it has moved the 10 m?
    Vf=?

Now assume a coefficient of friction µ between cart and surface during the entire distance.
    c) For what value of μ does the cart just come to a halt after 10 m?

µ =??
    D) For the value of µ computed in part (c), what is the speed of the cart after it has gone 4 m?
    v=??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the definition of work?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Work is force*distance
    then i did 19*10=190 it doesn't work

5. Oct 9, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Good.
    No. Do each segment separately and add them up to find the total work done. For example, the first segment has F = +12 and distance = +7, so the work done for that segment would be: (12)*(7) = +84 Joules. Keep going.

6. Oct 9, 2008 #5
    i tried it before. 84+8+3=95 it still didn't work..:(

7. Oct 9, 2008 #6

Doc Al

The third segment is incorrect. What's different about it compared to the first two?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?