Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Cartesian and polar quantities

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I have a little doubt. I have, refered to the Sun, the cartesian positions and velocities of an asteroid (in x, y and z coordinates - 6 values).

I can easely calculate the polar coordinates (longitude and latitude - along with distance).

My doubt is: how do I calculate the longitude and latitude speed in degrees/radians given the cartesian values? Is it the same way?

I'm sorry for this stupid doubt....

Kind regards,

CPtolemy

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Probably - long and lat are not polar coordinate representations, they are grid coordinates on the surface of a sphere.
    You can convert ##(x,y,z)## to ##(r,\theta,\phi)## then you can convert ##(v_x,v_y,v_z)## to ##(v_r, v_\theta, v_\phi)## in the same way.
    Position and velocity vectors convert between coordinate systems the same way.

You can check your understanding by finding ##\vec v = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(r,\theta,\phi)##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted