1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian coordinate problem

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Identify the curve by finding a Cartesian equation for the curve.
    r=2

My attempt:
    r=2 makes a circle with a radius of 2, so:
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    x^2 + y^2 = r^2 \\
    y^2 = r^2 - x^2 \\
    \\
    y = \pm \sqrt {r^2 - x^2 } \\
    \\
    y = \pm \sqrt {2^2 - x^2 } \\
    \\
    y = \pm \sqrt {4 - x^2 } \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

But the back of the book simply says
    ??That's not an equation. It's a description. Doesn't an equation need to have an equal sign?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Bad book. Lots of 'em out there.

4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

hehehehe.... I am sure your tutor is not going to deduct marks for saying that instead of x^2+y^2=2^2,.. that answer actually shows that you know what x^2+y^2=2^2 really means. :smile:

5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Was there a reason for solving for y?
    [itex]y= \pm \sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] says nothing that [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] doesn't and I would consider the second form simpler.

Relevant to your actual question, the problem did NOT say "find the equation"- it said "Identify the curve by finding a Cartesian equation for the curve."

6. Nov 6, 2007 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But it told me how to identify the curve: Identify the curve by finding a Cartesian equation.

The teacher agreed with you. [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] is a better way to state the answer. She said equations usually don't have a +/- in them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?